Chapter 17: Friends again

*Virgil POV*

Saturday afternoon. Both my parents are out and at home. I hear a knock on the door. I open it and see Remus. I close the door without a word. Another knock. I ignore it. My phone buzzes. Its a text from Remus. Funny, I thought I blocked him.

Can we at least just talk? He texts

Fine, but I'm not letting you into my house

fair enough

so what do you want

to be friends again

lol what do you really want

no I'm serious. 

after you attacked me and dyed my hair? no way

J made me do those things. I'm sorry

I don't believe you

do you know how manipulative J is? He a literal snake. swimming is grease and covered in slime.

thank you for that visual. and fine, you can come in.

I set my phone down and walk back to the door. Remus is still there.

"Hey bat." He says.

"Rat," I say, nodding.

"So are you serious are did Jan put you up to this?" I ask.

"Dead serious. As in, I would murder to show my point." He says.

"Ok," I say, stepping aside to let him in.

"Sorry about your hair, by the way. It doesn't look too bad." He says.

"It looks like a hot mess and you know it," I say, grabbing my beanie to cover it up.

We hang around for a bit, just talking about how school is and stuff.

"I heard the Rockview kids at Cherry are total jerks." He says.

"Tell me about it. They think that just because I interact with Cherry kids that I automatically betrayed our school." I say.

I'm grateful to finally have one of my friends back. Jan is now dead to me, but at least Remus and I are still friends. I just don't want to get involved with him and his brother's drama.

"Do you want to go to McDonald's? There's one downtown that still puts up with me." Remus suggests.

"Sure," I say, snickering a little.

I text my mom telling her I'll be out with friends for a while, and we leave the building and go out to the parking lot.

"So who's car are we taking?" Remus asks.

"My heater's broken," I tell him.

"But they might recognize my car." He says.

"Well, I hope you brought a blanket because my car's freezing," I say.

He shrugs and we get into my car.

"So where is this one?" I ask.

"Down by the Hot Topic." He says.

"Wasn't that the first one you got banned at?" I ask.

"No that was the one by the mall's Hot Topic." He says.

So I start driving. I know the way to the Hot Topic. I know, big shocker. We make it there within a half-hour, as downtown is a little hard to get to in the snow. I pull into the parking lot.