Chapter 39: Salti Ice Cream

*Virgil POV*

I'm back at school on Tuesday. Logan did end up a little sick from me, so we were both out on Monday. I feel a little bad for getting him sick, but he insists it's fine and he didn't care.

Our group project is due by the end of the month, apparently, it's a big project. I didn't really pay attention in class or care enough to. But now I will, because I do not want to fail this class. I can't.

"Alright class, today is going to be all work on your projects. If you have any questions, ask. You should be on part 3 by now, which is on pages 230-235 in your textbook," The teacher says.

I glance at my giant science textbook. Logan's is filled with sticky notes, presumably just notes, and bookmarks. Mine has a few scribbles and doodles on some pages. 

I move my stuff to the desk next to Logan's and we get started. That's when I notice someone's missing. One of our group members.

"Hey, don't we have a third person?" I ask.

Logan nods.

"She's being pouty and avoiding me,"

"Amy?"

He nods grimly. Well, there goes 1/3 of my grade. Who am I kidding, I'll probably end up doing it.

"Ok, so which part are we doing?" I ask.

"I'm done with part 1, you're doing part 2, Amy's doing part 3, and we repeat that order for the next 3 parts," Logan says.

I nod. I get started on part 5. I look through the textbook for Amy's part. She has the easiest. She is definitely being a brat by refusing to do it.

---

"We're grabbing ice cream in a bit if you want to come," Roman says.

I pull my backpack out of my locker. We got to leave study hall early, and there's no rehearsal today.

"Yeah, sure. Just as long as we drive back to get my car," I say.

"Mk," Roman says, "Meet you out there,"

The three of them leave the hallway.

I hear voices behind me.

"Look at that loser, he thinks he's actually friends with those kids," 

"I know right, it takes years to get with them, not a few months. Although I suppose he intimidated them. You've heard the rumors, right?"

"Yeah. But he looks like a total wanna-be,"

"Let's find out,"

I would usually give them a snarky remark, but that would involve confrontation. The three people talking turned to me.

"Hey, punk wanna-be, how many threats did you make to get in with them?" One asks, presumably the leader.

"None. Go away," I say.

"Nah, I don't think so,"

"Fine," I say, putting my headphones on.

I ignore their taunts. I grab my backpack and rush out of the hallway. One throws a pencil at me, hitting my neck. 

*Logan POV*

After 10 minutes of waiting, I get out of Patton's car to go look for Virgil. I find him in the bathroom. He quickly stands up, and I pretend not to see how red his eyes are.

"Oh hey, Lo," He says.

"Are you alright? We've been waiting for almost 15 minutes. Did something happen?" I ask.