Chapter 45: Coffee needed

Warning: Amy POV at the end

*Logan POV*

Virgil seems very proud of something when he comes to school on Monday. Today is May 1st. I have been back in school for a week and still have homework I need to catch up on.

"Salutations, Virgil," I say.

"Hey Lo," He says, smiling.

Virgil rarely smiles.

"May I ask what has caused this positive mood change?" I ask.

"Look around. There's a certain girl not here today," He says.

I look around. Amy's locker, which is on the other side of the hallway from mine, is unoccupied. She's not here today. Figuring she must be sick, I have an internal sigh of relief.

After lunch, I overhear a group of girls talking.

"Did you hear what happened to Amy?"

"Yeah, so sucky,"

"I mean, she had it coming,"

"Why?"

"Did you not hear what she was doing at that party?"

"Oh yeah! Well, I guess you're kinda right. But how drunk could she have been?"

"Excuse me, I couldn't help but overhear. What exactly happened to Amy?" I ask.

I don't care, I'm just curious. But the girls seemed delighted to have someone else to gossip with.

"Oooh, it was terrible! She went to a college party, got drunk, and then hit by a bus! She might have almost got another two boyfriends too!" One of the girls said.

"I see," I say, walking away as they turn back to each other.

Well, I'm certainly not upset about this turn of events. But I can't help but feel Virgil had something to do with it. I wouldn't blame him if he did.

---

"Logannnnnn I don't get this," Virgil says.

"That's why we're here," I say.

We're in a study room at the library, as both of us just got off our shift.

"I thought it was to spend time together," He says.

"We are, but that doesn't change the fact you have two pages of math you procrastinated on that's due tomorrow," I say.

"It's not my fault," He mumbles.

I just give an exasperated sigh and scoot over to help him.

"Thanks, Lo," He says after he finishes.

"Not a problem," I say.

"Now when I turn it in I'll only feel a little like a failure," He says.

"Virgil no-"

*Virgil POV*

I still spend almost all my time with Logan, only this time he's conscious. But I've found that I get a little nervous in public with him, considering how many times people have been rude to me.

"Ok Virgil, see you tomorrow," Logan says once we reach the parking lot.

"See ya," I say.

Once I get home, I dump my bag in my room and heat up some leftovers for dinner. Dad's watching TV in the living room and I think Mom is out shopping.

After I eat I go to my room and text Logan. We chat for a while until he has to go. A small part of me wonders if he was just making up an excuse.

---

I don't really sleep that night, which isn't unusual for me. I'm scrolling Tumblr at about 2 AM when I hear a noise in the kitchen. Yep, definitely not sleeping now.

I walk out of my room to see what it was. Nothing looks out of the ordinary. That doesn't stop my heart from pounding as I walk back into my room. I try to breathe and assume it was probably one of the neighbors.

I don't sleep at all that night, my anxiety telling me if I do the thing that made that noise is gonna come back. In the morning I look in the mirror and put on a little less eyeshadow than normal. I have bags under my eyes.

I have coffee instead of breakfast in the morning, which is pretty normal, although I sometimes have toast too. I need to wake up, or at least not fall asleep during the day.

---

At my locker, I have some more coffee. I nearly fall asleep in my locker so I need it.

"Virgil, is your vibe yeeting well?" Logan asks.

I look at him. I can't decide if I'm going to burst out laughing or burn his vocab cards.

"That's- That's not even close," I say, cracking a smile.

Logan looks through his cards.

"Um ok so is your fahm Gucci?" He asks.

Patton and Roman starts to overhear what Logan is saying and also best into laughter.

"Ok, Logan. I am burning your vocab cards," I say.

"I think that's fair," He says, "But my intent was to ask if you are doing well. That is your second cup of coffee. Not to mention the coffee in your backpack,"

I shrug.

"I'm tired," I say.

"Why? Virgil, what kept you up last night?" He asks.

I shrug again.

"Would you like me to list all of them?"

"No thank you," Logan says.

I take a long drink of coffee while looking him dead in the eyes. That's what I thought.

The bell rings and I grab my stuff and head off to homeroom with the others.

*Amy POV*

Mom met me at the hospital after some guy called an ambulance. Time to start planning my cover story, since I wasn't supposed to be drinking. 

"Is my baby ok?" I hear Mom ask.

"Ask her," A doctor says.

Mom bursts in, and immediately asks what happened.

"I don't know. It was late and things were hazy. I think someone pushed me!" I say, fake tears welling up in my eyes.

Mom buys it. I smirk internally, knowing things were going to work out for me.

"Perhaps you might want to know why things were so hazy for your daughter last night, ma'am?" One of the doctors says.

Shoot.

"It doesn't matter, someone hurt my babyyyy!" Mom says.

Whew.

"Ma'am, I think you might want to see this," The doctor says.

And with that, I need to make up a few dozen more excuses. Crap. Everything is fuzzy in my head right now when I need to focus. Ugh, why can't things just work out for me?

Hi all, sorry for the later update today. But it's here! I hope you enjoyed reading. Feel free to leave any thoughts or feedback in the comments and have a lovely day you magnificent peep!