Chapter 47: A birthday surprise

*Patton POV*

Today is the day of my spring band concert. My very last one. I'm in my standard band attire, formal white top, and black dress pants. I'm helping set up in the gym before we start our rehearsal. Down the hallway, I can faintly hear the sound of music coming from the theater.

I sit in the front row beside my fellow clarinets as we get out our sheet music and adjust our stands. The concert starts at 12, but the rehearsal is at 10. Which is now. Our band teacher and conductor raise their hands and we begin to play.

---

"Patton, you were amazing!" Roman says, hugging me.

"Thanks, kiddo," I say.

I am all smiles right now, a bubbly feeling of pride in my heart.

"I got you a celebratory cupcake," Roman says, handing me a cupcake.

It's chocolate, with white frosting and a chocolate musical note. A treble clef.

"Aw, thank you!" I say, taking a bite.

I get some of the frosting on my cheek, which Roman decides to wipe off with a kiss. I blush and kiss him back.

---

Today is Saturday the 13th. Roman is at rehearsal again, which he brought Virgil along for, partly to get him to stop clinging to Logan or study, and partly because we are planning his birthday. Since this is his first birthday celebration with us I'm going to ensure it's amazing. And one amazing thing is a surprise party!

I don't know if Virgil wants a super big celebration, even though this is his 18th. Logan and I are helping set up everything and keep an eye on the cake. He didn't let me bake it, which I suppose is fair, considering I burned the batch of cookies I made for him.

Logan wraps gifts as I tidy up. Virgil's parents are out getting the frosting for the cake right now, leaving just me and Logan to get everything ready.

"Do you think he'll like this?" I ask.

"Most likely. While Virgil isn't one for big parties, I'm sure a small one with his friends would be satisfactory," Logan says.

We hear the timer go off. Logan stops what he's doing on crosses the room to the oven. He grabs a hot pad and takes out the cake. It smells amazing.

*Logan POV*

When Virgil's parents come back with the frosting, I let Patton do it because he seemed to be very enthusiastic about it. Perhaps all of his painting and decoration skills will help him in this case. 

Patton is just finishing up when I get a text from Roman.

Virgil wants to come home ASAP. I can hold him until 1:30, that's it. Finish up fast.

I groan. We gave Roman a very simple task yet he still can't complete it. 

"Patton, we need everything ready by 1:30 now," I say.

"Mk. I'll tell Remus," He says, pulling out his phone.

Remus shows up a few minutes later, and we only have about 10 minutes to finish everything. I had a plan and order in place, but it seems Roman decided to throw it out the metaphorical window. It doesn't completely matter, considering we were ahead of schedule, but still.

I look out the window and see Roman's car pull up. 

"Ok everybody, they're here. Remus, can you turn off the lights? Patton is the cake ready?" I ask.

They both nod.

"That's not the only thing I can turn off," Remus mutters.

I'm still unsure as to whether Virgil will appreciate the surprise part of this surprise party, but Patton assured me many times it would be fine.

*Virgil POV*

Roman dragged me along to his rehearsal today. His excuse was that they want someone working the sound booth, but something tells me he just wants me to get out. I can't, not when finals are two weeks away. 

"Virgil, you can handle a few hours of not stressing yourself out. Seriously, you need to chill," Roman says.

I scowl at him.

"Maybe you should be stressing more," I counter.

"Stress is a bad look on me. So I don't do it," Roman says, smirking.

I roll my eyes. 

---

I almost fell asleep several times while working. I didn't need to do much, so I mostly relaxed in a chair while debating if I should stop and study. I did not.

Every five minutes I go from sitting in the chair to literally any other surface in the room. I do that when I'm stressed. But finally, after what feels like hours, the rehearsal is over. 

"Finally. Can we go now?" I ask.

A brief flash of panic crosses Roman's face.

"No no, not yet. I need to help clean up," He says.

"Great. Tell me when you're done, I want to go," I say, annoyed.

I just want to go home and stress out there instead. Or hang out with Logan. Either would be fine.

When he finally finishes up, after about another 20 minutes, we finally go out to the parking lot.

"I need to make a quick stop at the store," Roman says.

"Of course you do. Just make it quick, I want to go home," I say.

"You've said that a million times. Do you not want to enjoy the time you have with this prince?" Roman asks, a little mock offended.

"I spend plenty of time with you, Princey. Doesn't change the fact I'm tired and need to study," I say.

"Oh, you're not on that again," He says.

"I am, deal with it," I say.

He just lets out a dramatic sigh.

We get to the convenience store, Roman gets what he needs, and he finally drives me back to my apartment. 

As I walk in, I notice the lights are off. Roman steps in front of me and flicks them on.

"Surprise! Happy birthday!" Roman, Patton, and Logan all say together.

My heart is beating fast, from a mixture of excitement and shock at them all shouting in unison. I crack a smile as Patton tackle-hugs me.

"Happy birthday, kiddo!" He says.

"Thanks, Pat," I say.

When Patton finally releases me Loan helps me up. He pulls me up and into a kiss. That was smooth.

"Oh, how sexy," Remus says.

We break apart and I see Remus rising up from behind the couch.

"Still sexier than you," I say.

Roman laughs as Remus scowls a bit. I can't help but grin too. Mostly because I'm still holding Logan's hand, he just hasn't realized it yet.

Le gasp! I have brought forth thy fluff! Completly willingly! Am I planning some future angst? Is that the reason for this fluff break? Well, I will leave you to contemplate that. I hope you enjoyed reading, feel free to leave any thoughts or feedback in the comments, and have a swell day/night you magnificent peep!