Chapter 46: Stress and Cartoons

Amy warning: She is mentioned and is a little brat

*Virgil POV*

Logan is hardly available anymore, saying he should 'focus on studying because finals are soon'. While that's true I want to spend time with him.

On Friday I finally come to the realization that finals are soon. Less than a month away. And I have barely remembered anything from this year. I need to study. Crap.

"Ok, Virgil, I know I said you should study more but this is ridiculous," Logan says.

"What do you mean? Just because this is my fourth cup of coffee doesn't mean-"

I pause. I see Logan's stern expression.

"Ok, maybe it does," I say.

I take a long sip of my coffee. We're on a video call and it's like midnight.

"Virgil, please go to sleep," Logan says.

"But if I sleep, I can't talk to you," I mumble, my words slightly slurred.

I'm tired, but my anxiety isn't going to let me sleep. Not when the finals are so close. They're coming in three weeks.

I bang my head on the table and let out a small groan.

"Go to bed, love," Logan says, "We can study tomorrow,"

I mumble a protest.

"There's no chance of me sleeping,"

I finish my cup of coffee and go to refill it.

"I swear, you are worse than Remy when it comes to coffee," He says as I leave.

Untrue. I've seen Remy when he's off coffee and it's scary. I'm not like that, I just need it to survive finals.

"Virgil, finals are in three weeks. You can take a break," Logan says.

"No, I can't. They're way too soon and I can't-"

"You have plenty of time. You can't study if you aren't well-rested," Logan says.

"Fair enough. I'll try," I say.

I say goodbye and hang up. I'm not going to be able to sleep, with my anxiety and the coffee keeping me up.

*Roman POV*

"You guys are no fun anymore," I say.

Logan and Virgil spend all day studying together instead of literally anything else. They even turned down hanging out with me. A near Disney prince!

"I'm sorry, do you want us to fail?" Virgil says.

"No, I just-"

"Roman just leave them be. C'mon, let's go home and watch some movies," Patton says.

"Ok," I agree.

I want them to take a break and enjoy themselves, considering this is our last month of school. Then we're off to college.

I try to keep my mind off that, as Patton and I leave the library and go back to my house.

---

Halfway through our second movie, I start scrolling social media. I'm still enjoying the movie, but I have been feeling very jittery lately.

I stop when I see some stuff posted on Amy's story.

This is so unfair! I'm getting grounded after I was hit by a car! 😭😭 And I lost my job. I guess some people can't understand what I'm going through in the unsympathetic world.

I snort. From what I heard, she got herself drunk when that happened. She deserved it, anyway.

I look in the comments and about half of them are just blasting her for getting drunk in the first place. I don't think she's going to get hired by anyone anytime soon.

After several hours, Patton snuggles up to me and starts to drift off. I hadn't even noticed the time, but it's getting late. After the movie finishes, I pick up Patton, bridal style, and carry him out to my car. His parents are probably getting a little worried about why he's out so late.

I knock on the door and Patton's dad answers.

"Hey Roman. Where's Pat?" He asks.

"In my car. He's just asleep. I don't want to wake him, so can you keep the door open for a sec?" I ask.

He nods and goes back inside. I wish Patton could stay the night at my house but I've got rehearsal and he has a concert tomorrow. Of course, I will be going to the concert but he has to arrive pretty early in the morning for it.

I carry Patton inside, him still sleeping peacefully. I'm pretty sure he can sleep through anything, so I don't worry about waking him too much.

---

In the morning, I wake up, shower, and get ready for rehearsal. We have Saturday rehearsals every Saturday in the month leading up to the show. Our shows are on the 20th and 21st. That leaves this Saturday and next Saturday for rehearsals.

I get in my costume for the second act, a dashing prince one similar to the one I woe to the Winter Dance. Only this one is red with a white sash, but still with gold trim.

I step onto the stage as the music starts. I start my lines, reciting them to Joan, who got cast as the side villain, as well as my friend Thomas as the main. They can do a pretty good duet too, not gonna lie.

*Logan POV*

Lately, Virgil has been two things. Clingy and stressed. I may have caused him to overstress about finals, which is both a good and bad thing. On one hand, he now sees why I'm studying so much, but on the other, he is non-stop freaking out about it.

"Virgil, please calm down. Finals are several weeks away, you can handle not studying for one day," I say.

"But what if I can't?" He counters.

"Come here, love. We can relax and watch some TV together. You shouldn't overwork yourself. I can tell you haven't slept very well for a few days," I say.

I can tell the bags under his eyes aren't made by eyeshadow.

"Fine," He says, putting his stuff away.

That was easier than I anticipated.

—-

Virgil convinces me to watch cartoons instead of something like a documentary, which I much prefer. I don't see the point in silly cartoons.

"Water, Earth, Fire, Air,"

"What even is this show?" I ask.

"One of the greatest ever," Virgil says, his eyes still fixated on the screen.

"I meant what it is called," I clarify.

"Avatar: The Last Airbender," He says.

"Airbender? How is that even possi-"

"Shush and watch," Virgil says.

I do. Despite the fact this could never happen in real life, I love the storyline and the characters. I suddenly understand why Emile loves this show so much.

Hi, so sorry for posting so late, I've been busy and the WiFi at my house has been a little iffy. Also, things got a little messy doing this half on mobile, so sorry if you get the notification of me posting twice. I hope you enjoyed reading and feel free to leave any thoughts or feedback in the comments. Have a wonderful day/night you magnificent peep!