Chapter 40: Secrets secrets are no fun

*Virgil POV*

Almost two weeks have passed since we got ice cream together. I have been nicknamed 'The salti emo' by Roman and it's definitely my favorite nickname so far.

Today is Monday, the 20th. I still don't like Mondays. The project is due in 11 days, at the end of the month. So far Amy hasn't done anything. So I decide to spend the next 11 days doing her part of the project, just so Logan and I don't fail. I don't know why he's not more concerned about it.

Right after lunch, which has grown to be a better time for me, Patton approaches me at my locker.

"Hey, Pat," I say.

"Are you hiding something from me?" He asks.

His direct confrontation scrambles my thoughts for a minute. Did Logan tell him? Did he find out about any of my other secrets? I wasn't exactly a beacon of truth at Rockview. Am I overreacting? Am I making him suspicious right now?

"What? No! Did Logan tell you something?" I ask.

I definitely could have phrased that better. Now he is 100% suspicious.

"Wait what. Wait what happened?" Patton asks.

My eyes widen.

"Nothing! It's over and I'm fine,"

"Kiddo, be honest. Are you hiding something?" He presses.

I usually wouldn't relent but god Patton is the master of puppy eyes.

"Ok, fine. I am hiding stuff that I'd just rather not think about from my earlier years. Happy?" I ask.

The bell rings and I grab my bag, storming off.

I walk into the bathroom, which I've found is almost always empty. I sink down to the floor. I hear the bell ring. My next class is science and I don't care if I miss it. The teacher never takes attendance and Logan can do the stupid project without me.

I decide to just skip all my science classes so I can avoid them. Patton and Roman are also in the class, so it's better to stay away from them.

*Logan POV*

Virgil hasn't spoken to us all week. I have no idea why. The only time he talks with me is to discuss our project. Frankly, I don't know much about relationships but I can tell this isn't very good.

We are in English class in the morning when I decide to ask Virgil what is going on.

"Virgil, what is wrong?" I ask.

"Nothing. I'm fine. I'm not trying to hide anything, despite what Patton thinks," He says.

Ok, something is definitely wrong.

"Can we talk?" I ask.

"No. I'm tired of talking. I'm tired of being in this goddamn school,"

He just storms off. I decide to go after him after I get a hall pass from the teacher.

I find him in the bathroom, curled up in a ball on the floor. I think he's having a panic attack or just sobbing quietly.

I think I have a notecard for this. I'm unsure as to whether this is an appropriate time to use one, but I pull them out nonetheless.

"You good fahm?" I ask.

He shakes his head. He buries it back in his arms when I see more tears start to well up. Who did this to him? Why?

"It's ok. You're going to be ok. Remember to breathe," I say, trying to comfort him.

He chokes and sniffles a bit more, latching onto me with a hug. I have found Virgil to be extremely clingy, but only when we're alone.

"Will it? Who'll turn on me next? Who'll hate me? Who'll plot against me? Do you know how many people make fun of me on a daily basis?" He cries.

"Virgil, while it is impossible t completely predict the future, I can assure you I will try my best to keep the bad people away," I say.

"But- but Patton- why was he-"

I make a mental note to talk to Patton later.

"I do not know why. But Patton has cared for you in the past, and always given you the benefit of the doubt. I don't think he would intentionally try to hurt you," I say.

He sniffles. I have no idea what is going on with him and Patton, but I guess it's not good.

"Are you sure?"

"Virgil, as much as I try to deny it, I can never be sure. There are many possibilities to consider, especially when you take into account-"

"That isn't helping," He interrupts.

"Right. My apologies. But Patton is one of the last people on this planet that would intentionally hurt you," I say.

*Virgil POV*

It's official. I don't deserve Logan. He is way too good for me. He is always there for me.

I don't want to go back to class. At least not yet.

"Do you want to head back now?" Logan asks.

"Not really," I say.

A long pause passes before I ask,

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why did you come after me? Why are you always comforting me?" I ask.

Logan blinks.

"I thought it was obvious. While I usually reject emotion, I love you. I don't reject that,"

I hug him.

"Class is about to end, I recommend we get going. Do you want to talk to Patton about this later?" He asks.

I kinda have to. But I'm still mad and upset he still doesn't trust me. I nod.

---

"Patton, what happened between you and Virgil?" Logan asks.

His locker is open and I'm hiding behind its door.

"Well, someone told me he was hiding something big from me, and then when I asked him about it he got upset and stormed off and now I feel really bad," Patton says.

"Virgil, do you have anything to add to this?" Logan asks, closing his locker door.

I shake my head. Logan is pretty much the only one who knows I'm lying about being attacked, but it doesn't take a psychologist to figure that out.

"Who told you that?" I ask.

Patton shifts nervously.

"....Amy,"

"And you believed her because?" I press.

"I- don't know. I have no idea why, honestly," Patton says, "I'm sorry, kiddo,"

I'm going to be honest, it's pretty hard to stay mad at Patton. 

"It's ok," I say.

Patton lights up and gives me an almost tackle hug.

"Nope. No," I say, "Not another Patton hug,"

Patton grins mischievously.

"If you can escape I won't do it again,"

"Game on,"

Something tells me Virgil isn't escaping the Patton hug. And spoiler, Amy isn't going to be happy about this. Get ready. I hope you enjoyed reading, and feel free to leave any thoughts or feedback in the comments. Have a glorious day/night you magnificent peep!