Chapter 42: Patton's Birthday

*Roman POV*

About a week has passed and Virgil hasn't been talking or doing anything with us outside of school. I can tell this bothers Patton, and as his noble prince, it is my job to cheer him up.

I spend my Saturday preparing a surprise for Patton. First I'll take him to the dog park, where he can see all of the dogs, then we'll get lunch at his favorite soup place, then we'll go back to my house and bake, and end the night watching movies together.

This is also going to double as his birthday surprise from me, as his birthday is today. 

At the store, I go through some of the isles to find any cat-related things. Even though he's allergic to cats he still loves them.

I pick out a few things, along with some ribbon and wrapping paper, and check out. I grab myself a pack of mints too.

After I wrap all his gifts, I call him, asking if he would like to go out today. He says yes, and we agree to meet at the park behind the library in half an hour. I go up to my room to prepare myself.

I do my hair, put on some nice clothes, and repeatedly check if I look good or not in the mirror. This is Patton's birthday, after all, it has to be special. 

---

"Hello, my dearest birthday prince," I say, bowing a little as Patton arrives.

"Oh, Roman!" He says, blushing.

"Are you ready for a spectacular day?" I ask.

"Always," He says.

I take his hand and lead him around the park. Once we're a short distance away from the dog area I tell him to close his eyes. I lead him there and his face lights up with joy when he sees where we are.

"Doggos!" He squeals.

He rushes over to play with the dogs as I chase after him. I haven't seen Patton smile this much in far too long.

"Roman!! Lookit, how cute they are!" He says, bouncing up and down.

"I know, Patton," I say, grinning.

After about two hours, it's nearing lunchtime so I convince him to leave.

"Aw, so soon?" He asks.

"Don't you want lunch?" I ask.

He shakes his head but his stomach growls, removing any argument he may have had.

"C'mon, love. I'm taking you out for lunch," I say.

---

While we're waiting for our order, Patton picks at one of the rolls we got. 

"Did you see that husky puppy? Oh my god, it was so cute!" He says.

Patton has been talking about all the different dogs he saw there and I can't help but smile at how happy he is.

Once we get our food, Patton has worn down a little from his excitement.

"So," I ask, "Are you having a party? This is your 18th, after all," I say.

I turned 18 in November, and just had a small party with a few of my friends. It was mostly family too. My mom, all her cousins, and their kids, and some people that might be related to me. 

"I dunno. Maybe in a few weeks," He says.

I know why he doesn't want one right now, and that seems to put a damper on his mood.

"Well, how about after this we go back to my house and have a small birthday celebration for you?" I say.

"Sure!" He says, perking up a bit.

*Patton POV*

Roman drives me back to his house at around 2 PM, and he tells me to close my eyes again before we walk in. 

"Ok, open them," He says.

I do and give a little shriek of joy when I see the room. He blew up some balloons and hung some streamers, which I love to mess with, around.

"Roman, you shouldn't have!" I say.

"But you are my prince and deserve the best," He says, pulling me in.

We share a kiss and I feel my face go extremely red. I probably have a mile-wide grin on my face right now.

"Now, time for you to open your gifts!" He says, leading me to a small pile of boxes.

As I do, I thank him profusely for all the things he got me. I now have several cat pun T-Shirts, a cat keychain, and a new cat hoodie, which I immediately tie around my shoulders.

"I love it. Thank you so much, Ro!" I say.

"Not a problem, Pat," He says.

"More like Cat," I chuckle.

He grins.

"So with all this, I didn't get you a birthday cake," He says.

"Oh, that's completely fine Roman! I don't need a cake, this was great-" I start to say.

"BUT," He cuts me off, "I do have all the ingredients to make one!"

My jaw drops a little. I love baking and am absolutely terrible at it, but I love doing it nonetheless. I just make a noise of pure happiness and he smiles. 

We both get up and go to the kitchen. I look at the time, wondering how it was already 3 PM. This day has gone by way too fast.

"Ok, first we need to find a recipe," I say.

Roman pulls out a huge book from on top of the cabinets and it makes a loud thud as he sets it down. He opens it up and flips through it.

"How about this one?" He asks.

It's an Oreo cake recipe, but it doesn't use Oreos, it uses some other cookies and cream cookie. I love those kinds, so I agree. He goes to get out the ingredients as I get out the mixing bowls.

"Wow, I think this recipe will really take the cake!" I say.

Roman snorts. I grin.

---

The cake is in the oven and I tried to make as little mess as possible, but I'm a clutz sometimes so that didn't really work out. My glasses are covered in flour at this point.

"Here, let me get those," Roman says, gently taking them off.

"Wow, I forgot how blurry everything is," I say.

I then proceeded to walk straight into the garbage can. I stumble and Roman catches me.

"Thanks, Ro," I say.

"My pleasure," He says.

I pull myself up and we land in another kiss. This time he's the one who's blushing.

"Well, while that's baking do you want to watch some movies?" He asks.

"Only if it's Disney," I say.

"But of course!"

I laugh as he hands me back my glasses, now free of most of the flour.

We spend the night eating some of the cake, which wasn't too bad but we did use too much sugar, cuddled up together binging Disney movies until I fell asleep. The last thing I hear him say as I drift off is,

"You're my sleeping beauty, Patton,"

Wow, that was fluffy. I hope that helped you recover from the angst of last chapter, but be warned, there's gonna be more. I hope you enjoyed reading, feel free to leave any thoughts or feedback in the comments. Have a terrific day/night you magnificent peep!