Chapter 13: Escape

*Virgil POV*

Two months of torment. I have never felt more alone. My sweatshirt provided a layer of protection and comfort I never knew I had until it was ripped away from me. In the span of a few days, I went from one of the most popular kids at Rockview, to a bullied little nobody. Its not the popularity drop that hurts me, no, I always knew it would happen one way or another, its the loss of all friends that cuts the deepest.

No one dares defend me, or help me in any way. The Rockview kids attack me, and all the CherryWood's turn their backs, either because we don't 'technically' go there, or because the Trio, i.e Roman, told them to. They're all brainless and spineless. Not that I'm much better.

I wake up in the morning and check my email. I have about a dozen that just say 'Toxic' and 'Loser' and 'Emo Wannabe'. I decide that I don't want to go to school today. I walk into the living room where Mom is, preparing for work.

"Hey Mom, I don't feel well. Can I stay home today?" I ask.

She feels my forehead.

"Hmm. Well, you don't have a fever." She says.

"My stomach hurts," I say.

That's partially true. I sometimes get sick to my stomach after people harass me. 

"Well, take some medicine and I'll call the school. Make sure you get your homework from one of your friends, though." She says, handing me some stomach medicine.

I thank her and go back to my room. I hardly got any sleep last night, so I put in my earbuds and play some music while I try to fall asleep.

I'm back in middle school, with my best friend. Faceless bullies jump out and shove me down. I'm pleading for help, as their insults and shoving get more and more intense when he shoves them off. He helps me and just as I'm about to thank him, he grows, or ages I guess. The hallway around us shifts, and the fallen bullies do too. One of them turns to Roman. Another to Janus. My friend then throws my hand down and turns away in disgust as Roman and Jan shove me down. 

I wake up. I groan, realizing it was another nightmare. I check my phone. I have two missed calls from Logan. That's a little out of the ordinary, he would usually text me and I would ignore him. Whenever he wants to meet up I just give a generic excuse or just say no because its probably a set-up, and this time I don't have someone to defend me.

The teachers usually E-mail us all our homework by the end of the day, so I go on my computer to see if any had been sent in yet. Nope. I go to the kitchen to grab a snack and I put some Netflix on. I don't really like skipping school, but any free day away from torment is fine by me.

*Logan POV*

My phone goes to voicemail a second time. 

"Why do you even bother calling? He's not gonna answer." Roman says.

"There's still a chance he might. Eventually." I say, putting my phone back in my pocket.

Roman looks skeptical but doesn't push it. The bell will ring in a few minutes, so we start to head to our first classes. I wave to them and walk into my English class. I take my seat and notice Virgil's is empty. I sigh a bit. In the past two months, he hasn't been talking to me. Even at work, he goes to ask someone else. 

The day goes on as normal, although I'm a little less attentive in my classes than usual. By the time lunch comes around, all I can think about is Virgil. Is he ok? Why is he not here? Did he get sick? Is he still mad at me?

I get my lunch and sit at my usual spot across from Patton and Roman. I'm on the edge, and on my left is an empty spot. A few minutes after I sit down, a girl sits by me.