Chapter 43: Take care

TW: Amy is back on her BS

*Virgil POV*

9 days have passed. I have spent every moment outside of school with Logan, who still hasn't woken up.

On the 9th day, I walk in with my backpack. The nurse lets me through, already knowing who I'm here for, and I walk into Logan's room.

"Hey, Lo," I say.

No response. I never get one, but I still hope I would.

"I miss you. Can you come back soon?" I ask.

I feel so small, so childish for asking this. He has no control over when he wakes up.

"Well, what book are we going to read today?" I ask.

I have gotten into the habit of bringing books to read aloud to Logan, seeing as he loves to read and he shouldn't have to ever miss out on that.

"How about this one, 'The Murder of Roger Ackroyd'," I say.

I open it up and start reading.

---

I didn't notice the others come in until Roman snatches the book out of my hands.

"Rude," I say.

"Virgil, we're concerned for you. Do you know what time it is?" Roman asks.

I shrug.

"I dunno, 4?"

I got here at around 1 PM after I had finished some homework and had lunch.

"No. Virgil, it's almost 10," He says.

Wow, I am a slow reader. I do vaguely remember pausing and trailing off at some parts.

"Kiddo, are you sure you're ok?" Patton asks.

I blink. I was going to say, 'yes, of course. I'm fine,' but the fact I've been here for 9 hours without realizing it makes me stop. I can't really say.

"I'm gonna take that as a 'no'," Roman says.

He walks over to me and takes my hand.

"C'mon, Hot Topic, you need to go home," He says.

Something in me snaps.

"No! I'm not leaving him!" I say.

"Yes, you are. We have school tomorrow, you can visit him after," Patton says while Roman tries to drag me out.

I resist, kicking and throwing my arms around, but Roman is a lot stronger than he looks.

---

The next day, after school, I try to go straight back to the hospital, but Patton and Roman stop me.

"Virgil, I can tell you're not even wearing foundation. You need to spend some time outside," Patton says.

"It's too cold out," I say.

"Toughen up. It's in the '60s, it's not that bad. You survived the winter, you can survive this," Roman says.

I scowl.

"I don't care, I'm not going,"

"Kiddo, we are going to forcibly care for you, whether you like it or not," Patton says.

*Patton POV*

Virgil just scowls some more. We are not letting him get in bad shape just because Logan's injured. He needs to take care of himself, and if he won't then we will. Virgil is my dark strange son and I will take care of him.