Chapter 34: Freedom

*Virgil POV*

What does he mean, he likes me? He's sent so many mixed messages before that I have no idea how to react.

"I- I have to go,"

I have to go and think for the next three years in the shower if I'm making the right choice right now.

I rush out of the theater and go straight to the parking lot. I get in my car and drive. I don't know where I'm driving, just that it's away. 

I end up at a 7/11. The time Roman sang 'Freeze your Brain' crosses my mind. I decide to just get a slushie. Why not?

I'm almost home and my slushie is completely gone. I downed it in two minutes. My head regrets it.

Up in my apartment, I throw away my slushie cup and go into my room. I decide to get started on the little homework I have left. As I go to my desk, I feel something prick my foot. I crouch down and look for what it was. 

It was my earring. I pick it up and place it on my dresser. Maybe I can trust. It wasn't so bad last time. Was it?

*Logan POV*

It is the 16th. I am so close to freedom. I scan my room, making sure I have everything packet. I have all my personal belongings, including clothes, pictures, and a few books. I don't have much else other than that. As a little act of revenge, I leave a printed out picture of my pride flag on my bed. Once it hits midnight, I leave. At 6 AM, I'll officially be 18.

I walk down the street until I see Patton's car. My parents technically own mine, so I won't be using it anymore. I knock on the window. Patton jerks awake and smiles at me. He lets me in.

"Are you sure about this, kiddo?" He asks.

I nod.

"This is the only way I'll be free," I say.

Patton nods and drives to his house, several miles away, where my parents won't find me. I disabled the tracker they put on my phone, too.

"I should probably let you know," Patton says, about halfway through the drive, "That Rockview's construction is done, so the Rockview kids are going back,"

And by Rockview kids, I know he means Virgil. He hasn't spoken to me in the ten days that have passed since I told him.

---

The next day, or rather, a few hours later, Patton and I go downstairs. His parents already know of the arrangement and are fine with me staying here.

We have breakfast and get ready for school. Once we get there, I look around. No sign of Virgil. Did he already leave?

Amy sits next to me in science and we work on the project. I mostly do it, and she sits, on her phone for most of class. 

I don't know where Virgil is. He hasn't shown up to any classes and I'm starting to think he did actually leave.

I get the project done all by myself and tell Amy to meet me in the parking lot after school. If I can't be with Virgil, I can at least cut her out of my life. 

I see Amy in the parking lot, waiting by her car. She greets me with a tight hug and says,

"Hi, Lo-Lo! What did you want to talk about?"

I look her dead in the eyes. I am not backing down this time. She has no leverage to force me to stay.

"I'm breaking up with you," I say.

Her face goes from happy to shocked.

"You can't do that. I'll tell your parents how gay you and your friends are. I'll slander your name all over social media. I can make your life hell," She says, furious.

"If you actually loved me you'd remember when my birthday was. I'm 18 now, Amy. My parents hold no control over me," I say.

"Fine! But you will regret this," She says, storming off like a baby.

A sense of satisfaction goes through me as she does. I'm finally free.

*Roman POV*

I'm in my room, Disney music playing when my phone starts blowing up with messages. I check it and see it's the pinker Regina George herself, Amy. 

I sigh, knowing I'm in for a long ride as she yells at me through text. But then she says something that lights a spark in me. She threatens Patton and Logan. Nope, I will not stand for this. 

I call Remus, knowing he has some colorful ideas when it comes to revenge.

"Hey, Remus. I need your help," I say.

"What is it?" He asks.

"Revenge. Help me plot," I say.

"Against who?"

"Amy. You know that blonde jerk I told you about. Her," 

"OoooOOO! You said she's like the Regina George of your school, right?"

"Yeah,"

"Hit her with a bus!"

".....Remus that's not allowed. I'm trying to stay within the law on this one,"

"Darn. It's more fun when you ignore it," Remus says.

"I just don't want to go to jail. Got any other ideas?" I ask.

"Well, let me pull out my notebook," He says.

I hear a loud thump. 

"How big is that notebook?" I ask.

"Eh, only like 5 pounds,"

"How often do you plot revenge?"

"More often than you think,"

"How reassuring,"

*Virgil POV*

I have no clue what school to choose. We have to submit our final decision by Thursday. Today is Tuesday. It's also Logan's birthday, which I had marked on my calendar a few months back.

I spend my time at home today thinking about what I should do. I honestly have no idea. I'm an indecisive mess most of the time. Maybe I should talk to someone about this? But who? I pushed away everyone. Maybe Patton would forgive me. I decide to call him.

"Hey, kiddo! Long time no talk," He says.

I was half hoping he wouldn't pick up. I have no idea what to say.

"Yeah. Sorry about that. I-" I say, "I messed up. I shouldn't have ignored you guys,"

"It's ok, kiddo. Is there anything you want to talk about?" He asks.

"Yeah, actually,"

So we talk. I tell him about how I'm unsure which school to choose and how I'm supposed to tell Logan I like him. 

"Oh, speaking of Logan, can you tell him I said 'happy birthday'?" I ask.

"Will do! I gotta go eat dinner now, so see ya later, alligator!" Patton says, hanging up.

I set down my phone and sigh. Life has gotten way too confusing.

I have no idea how many more chapters this is going to be, but it's gotten a tad too fluffy for me. I'm gonna have to change that. Or maybe I've just completely numbed to all angst. I probably have. Well, I hope you enjoyed reading. Feel free to leave any thoughts, theories, or feedback in the comments and have a splendid day/night you magnificent peep!