The Blessing and Curse (MM)

Momo POV

Why was I born into this world? I've heard of the possiblity of alternate dimensions and wish that I can somehow make myself appear into one of them.

Because the world I'm in now is terrible and unforgiving.

A world where the superpower that you receive is the one you wish you didn't have. Confused? Well let me explain, using my superpower as an example.

I received it when I was seven years old. My family decided to go to China for vacation. One of the places we toured was the Fake Cracking Bridge. I was terrified beyond belief when in I realized you can see just how high up you are.

I hugged my dad's leg while I walked because I was too afraid to walk myself. In the middle of the bridge, I noticed the glass was cracking. I screamed in horror and gripped my dad's leg. I didn't know that it was fake.

My nails scratched him, startling him. We both fell to the side of the bridge. I had a clear view of what would happen if I fell. Screaming in fear, tears cascaded down my face.

My mom quickly scooped me up and allowed me to bury my head in her neck. She whispered sweet nothings in my ear to calm me down.

She told me to keep my eyes closed until we got off. That wasn't even the worst part. Nope. The worst part was the day after. When I woke up from my sleep on the ceiling.

You see, I have the the power of antigravity. Meaning that I can basically defy gravity and fly. This would be an amazing superpower for most but because of my experience with the glass bridge- I was traumatized.

Basically everyone is. Because the superpower you receive associates with what you're terrified with the most.

I am scared of heights and yet can defy gravity. Life is ironic and unfair that way. I wish I was born in a world where there was no such thing as a superpower. A world where everyone is normal, it may seem boring but it's a better alternative than what I'm in currently.

Because of this, our suicide rate is high. Many people would rather die than face their amazing abilities. The abilities they gained from fear and suffering.

I'm currently at my cousin's funeral. I wasn't extremely close to this cousin but family is family. I learned that she had the ability to read people's minds. No one told me how she got the ability though. It seems like it was a secret. A dark one.

She slowly started to lose her sanity because it was all too much for her.

She committed suicide.

My uncle silently weeped as we all approached the casket. My aunt had no expression on her face, in fact she showed no emotion whatsoever. It was like she was numb.

My mom, dad, and I payed our respects and had a small chat with my uncle. I excused myself to go use the bathroom.

I walked into the bathroom and stared at myself in the mirror. My knuckles turned white as I pressed my fingers deeply on the counter of the sink. I breathed in deeply and let out a shaky breath.

I heard a flush and one of the stall doors opened. I gazed at the girl through the mirror.

Our eyes met.

The only think I can think of was that her eyes were deep pools. They reflected so much emotion despite the fact that her face was stone cold. It's true what they say, those who display a cold front is a softie on the inside.

It's a way of protecting oneself, I suppose.

Ocean eyes. It has nothing to do with her eye color but just the way she stared at me. Waves of emotion were pulling me in. I knew I was drowning but I let myself, I didn't bother to swim.