Cutting and Mending Ties (JI)

Some angst, some fluff. Hella long.

-----------

I'm sure you have heard of the red string of fate. Everyone has.

Feeling a tug and following your string until you find your soulmate, running into them in the midst. Kissing when you finally meet one another.

Well, unfortunately that's not how it goes for some people.

And by some people, I mean me.

There are people lucky enough to be born with the ability to see the red string. I am one of those people.

It is both lucky and unlucky.

With the ability to see the red string, everyone comes to me to find their soulmate. At first, I was ecstatic to help others find their one and only.

BUT...It can get so tiring.

"Y/n! How short is my string? Is my soulmate near me?"

"Y/n, can you help me find my soulmate?"

"Y/n! Y/n! Is my soulmate near me yet?"

You know, I always believed in the soulmate system. That once you follow your red string, you will find the love of your life and you two will be happy together forever.

I lost my faith in that after I managed to find my soulmate.

Park Jihyo.

I never understood the meaning of heartbreak when I met her.

It was in high school. She had heard about my ability to see the red string and came to ask me about hers. I was already sick of people asking me for help.

I was going to turn to her and tell her if I could get back to her at another time when I noticed that her string was connected to mine. Butterflies erupted into my stomach as a slight blush spread across my cheeks.

My eyes washed over her and I couldn't help but notice just how beautiful she was. I was going to open my mouth to say she was my soulmate when some guy walked up behind her. He wrapped a protective arm around her waist and kissed her cheek.

It was safe to say that my heart shattered into a million pieces at that moment.

I gave her a small smile and gestured to her boyfriend, "You want me to tell you if you two are soulmates or not?"

She nodded her head in a shy manner.

"I'm very sorry to say but he's not. Your strings aren't attached," I softly muttered.

They both gave me a look of disappointment and nodded their heads.

A look of determination flashed in Jihyo's eyes, "I know he and I are meant to be. There must be some mistake."

"There are no mistakes," I frowned, "Everything happens for a reason."

Jihyo didn't budge, "I don't believe that."

We became friends after that awkward interaction. She and her boyfriend were still going strong. I hated to say it but her boyfriend was actually a pretty nice guy. At least I know she's well taken care of.

I won't lie when I say each time they kissed or hugged in front of me, I died inside.

After highschool, Jihyo and I remained close. Unfortunately, so did Jihyo and her boyfriend.

It seemed as if there was no end to their romance. It was honestly suffocating me. To see them so happy and in love while I'm on the sidelines, even though technically I was her soulmate.