Beautiful (MM)

Where ugliness is the norm and beauty is deviance. I honestly got this prompt from the Twilight Zone.

Momo POV

I sighed as everyone looked at me as if I was disgusting. As if I was ugly. I mean I understand that being pretty was considered ugly here but I mean come on.

Can't everyone treat me as if I was just like them? Why do looks matter?

I walked by a mother and a little girl. I heard the little girl ask, "Mommy, who is that lady? Why doesn't she look like us?"

The mom quickly shushed her daughter when I looked back at them. I frowned and kept walking. I received a lot of looks of disgust and fear from everyone as I did so.

I entered a shop I haven't been to before and looked for some Jokbal. Right before I was going to pick the biggest one out, a worker approached me with a sad demeanor and said, "I'm so sorry but my boss says that we don't serve your kind here."

I looked down at my feet and muttered, "Oh. Okay."

Right before I turned to leave, the worker continued, "Just put the Jokbal in your purse and I'll pay for it through my paycheck."

I shook my head, "No, no. You might get fired."

The worker sighed, "I'm sorry about this."

I weakly chuckled, "Me too. It was nice to meet you."

"Likewise," He replied.

I left the store in disappointment and somewhat happy. Disappointed because I couldn't get my Jokbal but happy because of the worker. He treated me like I was normal. Even though I was beautiful.

It gave me hope that maybe one day being beautiful will be considered normal. It gave me hope that ugliness will no longer be the norm.

I was so in my head that I bumped into someone accidentally. I immediately apologized but what I saw made me shocked.

The girl in front of me was beautiful! She was wearing a hideous mask but it got knocked off her face when I bumped into her. I thought I was the only one in this city but I guess not.

"Y-You'r-" I stuttered out.

She quickly held up her hand to cover my mouth, "Shhh. I don't want others to know."

My eyebrows creased. She took her hand off my mouth to let me speak, "Why not let others know?"

"Don't you know what they do to people who are pretty?" She asked in astonishment.

I shook my head, "They?"

She backed up a bit, "You really don't know."

I frowned, "Should I?"

She blinked twice before looking around us. Once she deemed that no one was watching us, she whispered, "Follow me."

She linked her arm with mine and started lightly pulling me somewhere.

"Woah, woah. I don't even know you," I stopped walking.

She sighed, "I'm not the only one with a pretty face here."

"I know. I'm here," I stated in confusion.

She let out a genuine laugh, "I meant besides the two of us. There are more. I'll take you where they are."

A slimmer of hope welled up inside of me. There are more of us?

"Are you going to come with me or not?" She questioned.