Chapter 1

In a town like Tulsa, no one really gets along unless you grew up together. I didn't grow up in Tulsa. Where I grew up is no one's business, but where I am now, Tulsa is not much better. My parents moved to Tulsa despite that everything before we got here, was halfway decent. A couple of weeks after we moved in, my mom caught my dad with a girl.

Yes, my dad had an affair. I had to choose which parent I wanted to go live with because I'm only sixteen. I love them both so much... my older brother on the other hand had no problem choosing who he wanted to stay with. He moved in with my dad and that basically cut off all the respect my mother had for him. After seeing that, I knew I couldn't choose. So, I moved out.

Upon moving out, both my parents decided to help me with my home bills and basically with anything I needed, as long as I got a job. Let me tell you, job searching in Tulsa ain't fun. Guys take over the workforce leaving us women in charge of waitressing or being a stripper.

The one job I found interesting enough for me was the lowest paying but I can't work somewhere that I don't like... I just can't. My mother was not happy about my job choosing but I didn't care. I'm now a bartender.

While job searching and getting settled, I decided to stay with my mom so I didn't have to keep my stuff in my car. It only took two weeks to get settled in a room above the bar I work at so I was moved out of my mom's house pretty quickly. They pay my bills and give me gas money, I buy everything else in my life. Most parents aren't so understanding and welcoming of their daughter moving out and still having to pay all bills, but they love me just as much as I love them. Plus, they both have money to go around.

The bar I work at is called "Young's", which was the name on the door and name on the building, but I very quickly found out that no one calls it that. The bar is more often referred to as "Buck's" or "Buck's Place", instead of Young's. The first time I called it Young's, some regulars in cowboy hats cackled and gave me the nickname, "square choice", which didn't make sense to me until I knew what that meant. I guess that just means I'm an uncool, pretty girl. Some chick explained it to me after overhearing some of the regulars tease me with that name.

There are five rooms upstairs. One for the boss, Buck, one that I've moved into, one empty room, one room that I know is occupied but never see the person, and one other female, probably early 20s who lives in there.

The bottom is split into three parts. As soon as you walk in is the bar/main room which consists of couches to the right but an otherwise open floor. Past the staircase is the pool and dart room. I've noticed that's where the regulars hang if they're not at the bar. Then there's a back area which is outside. Buck has to give you permission to go back there because that's usually where he is when he isn't working a shift, out, or in his room. I've been back there once to ask Buck some questions and it's just a backyard space with chairs and couches and tables.

Anyway, I work and live at Bucks. My name is Mona Brown. My real name is actually Jackie, but Mona is my middle name and I've gone by it since I was old enough to write Mona on my name tag in class. If I'm gonna be living alone like this in a town such as Tulsa, I'm going to need to quickly befriend anyone and everyone to get them on my good side. I've heard stories. I ain't becoming another.