Chapter 42

Two weeks later

Dallas sat at the end of my bed. Neither of us had spoke since he arrived but a week since my parent's funeral has passed and we had already moved into our new home. Dallas and I haven't spoken at all, but he showed up today and insisted we talk. I stood by my bathroom door and wiped tears as they came down my cheeks.

"So..." he ran his hands through his hair, "you had a boyfriend while you were gone?" He looked at me.

I nodded my head and wiped more tears, "and you definitely weren't faithful," I sniffled and let out a long sigh. "What are we doing, Dallas? I love you, and I always will but it's been a year. We've grown apart," I walked across the room. "I've moved on, Dally. Not just because of my boyfriend back at the camp but because I can't focus on things like you anymore. I have to manage my mom's business while doing my senior year, Dallas."

He didn't say anything at first but stood up after a moment, "so this is it? You couldn't have saved me the guilt of sleeping with girls while you were gone and broken up with me when you left? You have to do it now just because you're sad about your parents? Mona-"

"I can't, Dally!" I snapped, "we can be friends but I can't be in a relationship. I need a break." I walked to him and wiped my tears. "And if you ever need a place to stay, Dally, come here we still have the room."

He leaned down and kissed me, taking his thumbs and wiping more tears away from my face. I rested my forehead against his as I separated our lips, then wrapped my arms around his neck as we began kissing more.

"I've missed you," he muttered as he laid me down on the bed. I nodded and pulled our lips together and kissed him passionately, cupping his face in my hands and wrapping my legs around his waist.

-

I woke up with Dally next to me. I sat up and let out a sigh, sort of regretting sleeping with him again.

"Good morning," Dally let out a yawn and sat up.

"You should go," I got out of bed and began putting clothes on.

"Mona, come on," he sat up. "You don't gotta be a stranger."

"I shouldn't have slept with you," I pulled my shirt over my head and looked at him longer.

"Why not, Mona," he sat up, "You and I are-"

"No." I snapped.

"Mona why the hell are you being like this!?"

"Because I fucking love you, Dallas." I yelled at him. "Okay? I'm in love with you but I just can't do this."

"The only thing keeping us from being together before was your parents, Mona. I'm sorry, but they aren't here anymore. I love you too, baby, so why can't we be together?"

"A boyfriend isn't logical for me, Dally. Maybe when I get settled, but I can't spend all summer running around with you when I need to figure out how to run my mothers business."

"We can still be together, Mona, we don't gotta act like we hate each other." He put his jeans on and walked to me. "You make me a better person, doll."

I stared at him then looked away. "I don't know..."

"What if I move in?" He tucked my hair behind my ear. "You don't gotta do so much running back and forth between the east and west side, I can help around," he shrugged. "Come on, baby."

"I don't want to be in a relationship," I sniffled. "But we have room for you if you really want to live here."

"I expected you guys to buy a smaller house," he chuckled.

"We needed enough room. We kept Nelson, Anna Marie and Nancy, Toby and David. Anna Marie is the nurse, Nancy is our cook, Toby is our pool boy and David is our housekeeper. I wanted to keep my seamstress too but Meyer said no." I huffed. "Its okay though."

"Oh poor you," Dally laughed. "You still live in a mansion."

"Our previous house had around 150 rooms. This one is like under 50 rooms." I shrugged.

"Mona, that is insane." He shook his head. "Very excessive."

"Do you want to live here or not?" I eyed him. "You wouldn't stay in my room. You'd have the room next door, Dally."

He sighed, "come on, Mona, I've spent so long sneakint into your room at Bucks. Barely ever used my room. I don't wanna live around the corner from you again." He leaned on my doorframe.

"Take it or leave it, Dally." I smiled and left my room. I walked down the hall and into the bedroom next to mine. "All the staff are still on duty until we finish the move in and get the rest of the stuff sold. I'll have them make setting up your room a priority."

"Can I have a car too?" He grinned as he followed me.

I looked at him and laughed a little, "you can't have a car. But if you get a job and pay for the gas and insurance, sure, Dally. You may borrow a car."

"Come on, Doll, we're destined to be together anyway," he grabbed my hand as I began walking down the stairs. "You and me, living in harmony."

I rolled my eyes with a smile. "You're annoying."

"You love me," he stopped us mid way through the staircase and kissed me.

"I do love you." I smiled and pulled away from him. "This doesn't mean we are back together."

"Come on, Mona, not this again. We have no reason to not be together." He followed me.

"Im busy." I looked at him. "Thats my reason."

"Oh yeah," he rolled his eyes. "Great."

We walked into the livingroom and seen Sylvia and Meyer making out on the couch. My blood boiled but Dally grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the door.

"I hate her." I muttered as he led me to my car.

"I know," he chuckled.