MARBLE

serenity "renny" rivera

march 31, 2017

my bare feet pressed against the cold, marble floor beneath me, as i swung my legs over the edge of my bed and sat up straight on the concrete-hard excuse of a bed beneath me.

i stared at the white walls surrounding me, sucking in air through my nostrils and then exhaling, not taking my eyes off of the blank, dull and poorly painted walls.

i heard a knock at the door, though like always i didn't bother responding or even looking in the general direction of the door, and of course my unresponsiveness had no effect on whomever was at the door, because i heard the sound of a key-card swiping into lock, and then the buzz of the lock unlocking.

the door opened, and i still refused to look in the direction of the door, though from the corner of my eye i could see a short, stocky figure moving through the room and approaching directly in front of me, right in my line of vision.

i didn't bother fixing my eyes onto the face of the worker in front of me, instead just stared at the badge that was fixed on the upper left of her wrinkly uniform shirt, while she stood there, likely waiting for a response that she knew she wasn't going to get.

"i have good news for you," she spoke, to which i still remained unresponsive, though she didn't seem to mind as she went on. "do you know what today is?"

i finally lifted my gaze up to her, looking at her tanned face and small, narrow eyes, with an expressionless face that meant for her to answer the question herself, because i wasn't going to give any response to her whatsoever.

truth be told, i had no idea what day it was in general, nor did i know the month, though i was assuming it was still march, being that the last time i'd check a calendar, it was dated in the month of march, but i wasn't attentive to things like that, at least not here.

"today is march 31st!" she said excitedly, and i just continued to stare, because i wasn't quite sure where she was going with this, or what the importance of it being the thirty-first of march was.

she let out a disappointed sigh, her shoulders slouching as she exhaled, and i broke my gaze from her, already knowing her next words were going to be along the lines of 'why aren't you excited?'

"oh come on, why aren't you excited?"

yup, knew it.

i glanced back up at her, now finally giving a facial expression, though this one was marked with irritation and boredom, as if a way of telling her to either tell me or leave me alone, and she pressed her lips together before speaking once more.

"you get to go home today!"

my face flattened to it's original, expressionless glare before i finally spoke, in my usual hoarse and low voice. "to what family?"

my question was dull, sarcastically referencing the fact that my parents would likely never take me back into custody or even want to ever see my face again without damning me to hell, and the worker in front of me rolled her eyes.

"you're such a negative nancy," she said, making me blink slowly in frustration. "your cousin's here, and he's signing custodial papers right now!"

i only hummed in response, not even sure what 'cousin' was here and why they'd want to taint their image in our family by taking me in, though i said nothing and brought my head down, staring at the black boots wore on the feet of the worker ahead of me.

she took a step to the left, in the direction of the small desk beside my bed, and began shuffling around through my papers, which made my head snap up, and i immediately grabbed her arm tightly and glared at her, to which she looked at me with a scared expression and backed away from the table.

i kept my grip on her arm though, continuing to glare at her with furrowed eyebrows, and i heard her squeak gently. "you're hurting me."

i scoffed, dropping her arm from my grip and then returning my gaze back to the ground and her boots while she spoke, both hurriedly and scaredly, as if i'd actually done something to hurt her when all i'd done was hold her.

"p-pack up your things.. i'll be back in 15 minutes."

i glanced up at her while she hurried out of my room, before sighing and getting up from the bed, gazing over the room before heading over to the tiny closet by the door and pulling down my duffel bag from the shelf up top, and throwing it onto the bed boredly.

i pulled my curls into a low ponytail, before sighing once more and getting to work, with packing the few belongings i had and the many pieces of artwork, drawings and notebooks i'd gone through within my year and a half in this hell of a psychiatric ward.

i sat on the bed, now fully packed and ready to leave, and shut my eyes for a moment, recollecting every moment and every memory that lead me up to this very minute and second that i was in, and letting out a heavy exhale before i heard the key card slide into the lock, and unlock the door.

"lets go, serenity."

~
welcome to my second book lol

there will be no cast images, i'd like you to channel your mind and imagine the characters however your mind pleases, with no limitations or restraints.

there will be, of course, descriptions of the characters noted, to spark your imagination if needed.

thank you, enjoy.

IN LOVING MEMORY OF JAHSEH ONFROY. KEEPING YOUR NAME ALIVE FOREVER. I LOVE YOU, I MISS YOU.

.