WELCOMING

serenity "renny" rivera

march 31, 2017

we got back into the car, myself holding four different bags full of my prescriptions, and ski holding four different bags of snacks, though i said nothing of it.

"finally, why the fuck y'all took so long?" isaiah complained, to which i didn't respond, instead just leaned my head against the window and stared ahead of me, letting ski do the talking.

i heard him begin opening a bag of chips as he spoke, the squeaking of the bag making me cringe slightly. "don't blame me, the line was long as fuck."

i stared at the back of the head of whoever sat in front of me, looking at his dreaded hair that gave me cruella de vil vibes, being that half of it was bleached and the other black, while his head leaned down and his attention remained directed on his phone.

i sighed, being that my phone had been taken by the police before i'd been admit to the ward, and i'd likely never get it back, so i was simply left to be phoneless, until whenever i could afford to buy a new one.

this thought then came with the realization that i'd probably not be able to get one soon, considering i was mentally ill in many different ways, and getting a job just didn't seem realistic for me, let alone safe for any and everyone else.

i snapped out of my thoughts as i looked out the window, watching as we drove into an expensive neighborhood, though my face remained as blank and expressionless as always. we passed the huge, mansion-like homes, until eventually pulling into the driveway of one.

i had no idea what exactly isaiah did for a living, nor his friends, and i definitely didn't know they were this successful, or had it this good, and i hesitated for a moment as everyone hopped out of the car casually, until i finally got out and pulled my duffle bag onto my shoulder.

isaiah came around to me, immediately pulling the bag from me and carrying it himself, and i glanced up at him, and then back at the house, before i spoke. "y'all got it good."

he chuckled, shrugging and gesturing with his chin towards the cruella boy, who was opening the door. "most of it's thanks to x, this his crib."

i nodded my head, shutting the car door behind me and following him into the house, my ears immediately being filled with the sound of many male voices shouting and laughing, and everyone greeting each other as the three boys entered the house, before glances came over in my direction.

"this her?" someone spoke, though i didn't look up to see who, and i heard a hum in response from isaiah.

"yup. members only, this is serenity. renny, this is m.o."

i glanced up, waving dryly at the group of men, while all the people in the room looked at me, before saying their scattered hellos and looking away, resuming their coversations.

isaiah tapped my arm and led me upstairs and across the huge house, before stopping at a room at the end of the hall and opening the door, leading me in, and i glanced around the big, fancy room while isaiah put my bag down beside the bed in the center of the room.

"this all yours, i'll take you to get shit for it some day soon, but make yourself at home." he said, once again making the idiotic mistake of attempting to ruffle my hair and getting his fingers stuck in it.

i sighed, prying his fingers out of my tangled curls, and he laughed at me before beginning towards the door, and then turning and looking at me. "you need anything? you hungry?"

i shook my head, and he simply nodded and walked out, leaving the door opened, though nobody was upstairs, so i paid it no mind, and instead picked up my duffle bag and placed it on the bed, deciding to begin unpacking, since i had nothing else to do.

the chatter downstairs was even louder than when i'd come in, though the time i'd spent in the asylum with people screaming like they were being murdered at all hours of the day made it easy to brush it off, and i focused in on one of the conversations as i placed piles of folded clothes into the dresser, and they began to blast music loudly.

i had barely any clothes, so in less than 5 minutes all of my clothes were in the dresser, and all that was left in my duffle bag was a stack of canvases with paintings on them, and my many notebooks and sketchbooks full of drawings and art.

art was my relief, the only thing that i did that could make me feel better no matter the circumstances, and the only thing i was really good at, either, being that i wasn't on the list of most-talented.

art was easy to me.

i could see something, and immediately draw it or paint it, and turn it into something more than it originally was, or something deeper than the average persons naked eye could see, or brain could understand.

i settled on just standing the canvases up on the floor  across the room and leaning them against the wall, until i'd get the opportunity to hang them up or find a place to put them, and i backed up to get a view of them all lined up from a good distance- only to back into a hard surface, making me turn, thinking i'd hit a wall like the dumbass i am.

instead, i turned around to see the cruella boy, x, and i stared at him blankly and expressionlessly, which was truly my default face, though it seemed to be his too, because he stared at me with the same face, wordlessly.

he only stood two or three inches taller than me, but he seemed to just radiate dark energy, and if i was soft like most other girls, i'd have been intimidated just by his presence, but i wasn't.

he glanced down at the hoodie on me, and i mimicked his actions, glancing at the hoodie on him, only to realize we wore the same exact hoodie, and i looked back up at him, waiting for him to speak, though he didn't.

instead, he roughly placed his hand on my shoulder, and then pat it twice before turning his gaze to the paintings i had lined up. i watched his face, trying to read him and find a reaction that would tell me whether or not he liked my art, though it was impossible to tell from his hard, still facial expression.

after a moment, he looked down at me once more and cracked the smallest smile for only a split second, before he turned away and walked out of the room, just as silently as he'd entered, and left me standing there, though i was unfazed by his actions, and i understood his behaviors, regardless of the lack of communication.

he was welcoming me, accepting me into his home.

~
ugghhbhgbhhjdjdh