BLACK

serenity "renny" rivera

march 31, 2017

i dragged myself behind the worker, the big and heavy duffle bag starting to make my shoulder ache, though i said nothing and kept my head down, watching the tiled floors beneath me as i took step after step, trailing behind her.

we reached an elevator, and i kept my head down as we got in and she pressed the buttons to send us downstairs, and the tension was so thick one could cut through it, though i paid it no mind.

if anything, the tension amused me, in a sense, being that she was so scared of and nervous around me for little to no reason, so much so that it was openly revealed and radiated off of her.

the elevated came to a halt, and the doors opened, making me lift my head for a split second, only to hold it down once more, tailing the worker as we approached the front area of the ward, to the front desk, where i glanced up to see who exactly was here for me.

"renny!" he exclaimed, to which i cracked a small smile and approached him slowly, giving him a gentle side hug.

human contact was something i largely lacked in the last year spent here, so simply touching him made me feel warm and fuzzy inside, as if i was finally feeling the blessing of comfort for the first time in forever.

he pulled my entire body into him, wrapping his pale, light arms around me tightly. "don't gimme no fucking side hug, i ain't seen you in forever! how you been?"

i returned the tight hug, before pulling away from him and shrugging. "hi izzy."

he ruffled, or at least attempted to ruffle, my hair, only to get his fingers stuck in my curls, making me glare at him as he yanked his fingers out of my hair, making my scalp ache from the pulling.

"you still quiet as ever, and got that mean mug." he teased, to which i shrugged and glanced over the papers on the front desk, which were signed and stamped.

the woman seated at the front desk spoke to isaiah for a while, before handing him a couple of papers, labelled with prescriptions for the medications i needed to pick up from the pharmacy, and then sent us off, and i sighed as we made our way out the doors.

"don't worry, i live with all my vros, and we're fun as fuck," he said, making me glance up at him and then gaze over the parking lot, as if i knew what car he drove or where he parked. "speaking of, two of them is in the car right now."

"they better not bother me." i said lowly, and he let out a laugh before putting an arm around my shoulder and guiding me towards his car.

"i can't make no promises."

i only lowered my head as usual, feeling hot under the thick hoodie and sweatpants i wore, and kept my head down until we reached his car.

he opened the door to the back for me, and i climbed in to see a thin, dark skinned guy in a black and white striped headband, who was arguing with someone in the front seat, whom i couldn't be bothered to look at.

the arguing silenced upon my entry, though i said nothing and didn't even look in the direction of the boy next to me, instead leaning my head on the window and looking out at the parking lot, where the hot sun shone down on all the cars.

isaiah got into his seat, shutting the door and then speaking. "x, ski, this my cousin serenity. serenity, these my vros."

i didn't bother looking up, nor did i bother speaking, and instead i kept my head leaned against the window and continued to stare out the window, and everyone in the car remained silent, as if unsure what to do in regards of my silence, until isaiah spoke up once more.

"she don't talk much, don't mind her."

i shut my eyes, giving a mental goodbye and good riddance to this cursed hole of an asylum, before opening them again to see the car begin to back out of it's parking space and begin its drive to wherever we were headed, while i listened to the loud music blasting from the car.

the three boys quickly dismissed my presence and began shouting and singing along with the lyrics of the song playing, which i couldn't deny was a very good song and very catchy on top of that, though i remained quiet and just watched the three in their seats.

within minutes, we were parked at the pharmacy, and i realized we were likely here to pick up my medication, so i glanced up at isaiah, who was handing the papers he'd been handed to the boy beside me, before he finally spoke.

"ski, go with her."

i would've expected an argument, but instead he just nodded his head and opened his car door, and i sighed quietly before doing the same on my side and stepping out of the car, knowing that i likely looked an entire mess, though i wasn't one to care for appearance.

i was dressed in the clothing i'd worn when i was admit into the psych ward a year ago, a plain black hoodie with the word 'revenge' printed on the front, and some black sweatpants, and admittedly i looked as depressing and dark as i truly was.

i walked in, following him to the back counter, and getting onto the long line, while i kept my head down and on my beat up black air forces, while ski tapped away on his phone beside me, seemingly unbothered by my silence, which i was thankful for.

after a few moments, though, i could feel his stare burning a hole into my head, and i glanced up at him, and we locked eyes for a moment, before he spoke. "your eyes, they're nice."

i pressed my lips together, used to hearing this compliment but never knowing how exactly to respond to it, and i looked away from him before speaking.

"ok? you never seen a black girl with nice eyes before?"

~
i literally didn't know how to end this LMFAO