SKY

serenity "renny" rivera

july 7, 2017

"isn't this place expensive as hell?" i asked, as jahseh held my hand and helped me out of the car.

"i'm expensive as hell." he replied, which made me purse my lips at him and shake my head, keeping my hand in his and entering the restaurant with him.

he'd bought me a long sleeved, velvet black dress, which was definitely out of my comfort zone, being that i couldn't even recall the last time i wore a dress, though i would do anything out of my comfort zone if it was jahseh's asking.

we entered, and were almost immediately led to a table he'd reserved, and as he pulled back my chair for me and i sat down, i cracked a smile at him before i spoke.

"you know, you didn't have to do all this? i like simplicity." i said, watching as he sat across from me, and he nodded his head, shrugging as he spoke.

"you can like it, it doesn't mean it's what you should always have. you deserve someone to go all out for you, at least once."

my face flushed, and i turned my attention to the thin, italian man who'd made his way to our table, sporting a cloth napkin on his forearm and a notepad in his hand.

i locked eyes with him, to which he gave me a look that was too lustful for my liking, which made me turn away and clear my throat.

his eyes kept glued on me as he spoke, in a thick italian accent. "what can i get you to drink?"

"water." i replied flatly, keeping my eyes away from him and instead on his notepad, as he began to write down on it, and then finally turned away from me and towards jahseh.

i finally was able to look at him, and i saw his facial expression change quickly, before he narrowed his eyes at jahseh and cleared his throat. "what's your name?"

jahseh scrunched up his face, seemingly already agitated at the way he'd been looking at me, and spoke roughly. "why?"

"you look a bit familiar, and if you're who i think you are, i'm not serving a woman beater." he replied dryly, making jahseh clench his jaw, and making me exhale lowly.

jahseh stood up, seemingly ready to swing right then and there, but i reached across the table and held onto his closed fist, standing up calmly and guiding him to sit back down, before i turned to the server. "then how about you get us a different server?"

"no, i'm not allowing this in my restaurant, and you're far too beautiful to be with a-"

"shut the fuck up," i said blankly, rolling my eyes at him and waving a hand in dismissal, before i turned to jahseh, who was continuing to stare angrily. "let's just go, we don't need this anyway."

i could tell he was reluctant, and wanted to show him the fight he was asking for, but he let me guide him up and out of the restaurant, before we got back into the car and he sat there, staring at the wheel intently, which made me put a hand on his face gently.

"jah, it's okay." i said quietly, to which he pulled his face away from my touch and spoke angrily.

"no it's not. i can't even take my bitch out to eat without niggas calling me a woman beater."

i bit my inner lip at his words, but let it be, excusing him because of the circumstances, and i shook my head before pulling his hand into mine and looking down at it. "fuck them, fuck what anyone thinks of you. if i know who you are, and you know who you are, nothing else matters."

he turned to me, his face calming, and nodded his head, starting the car and sighing before he spoke. "when did you get nice?"

"i learned from the best." i replied, chuckling as i buckled my seat belt, and he pulled out of the parking lot, smirking at my words.

"so where you wanna go?" he asked, turning onto the road and beginning to drive down the road, while i kept his hand in mine and stared out the window at the sky.

"make out hill."

...

i picked up one of my chicken nuggets and stared at the sky, where the sun was about to start setting. "anything with you is great, even wendy's in the car. it's a better date than any expensive restaurant could be."

he picked up his bacon cheeseburger and pointed it towards me, wordlessly urging me to take a bite, but i shook my head and pulled away. "no, thank you."

"how come you never eating anything if it has bacon in it, like ever?" he asked, raising an eyebrow at me.

i glanced at him for a moment, an amused smirk on my face as i spoke. "you pay attention that closely?"

"of course." he said quietly, making me chuckle a bit before i answered.

"i'm muslim, i don't eat pork."

his eyebrows raised in amusement before he nodded his head slowly, as if processing what i'd just told him. "i didn't expect that."

i tilted my head questioningly at him, which made him go on. "you won't eat pork but you'll have sex? and curse? and smok-"

"jahseh shut up." i said, though i burst into laughter, and he did too, then tugged one of my curls gently and spoke.

"it's okay though, i respect it."

jahseh turned towards me and took a nugget from my box, dipping it in his chocolate frosty, which made me scrunch up my face at him and laugh. "you're gross."

"and you love it." he countered, making me roll my eyes, though my face flushed and my goosebumps grew on my skin.

"that is true, i love you." i said, as a gentle chill ran up my spine from the words, and i shuddered a bit from the feeling.

there was silence, as i leaned my head on his shoulder and continued to eat quietly, my gaze on the sky that was mixing orange and purple, turning a pretty lilac with orange below it and leaving everything beneath it with a nice glow.

i could feel his eyes on me, as i spoke softly, eyes still on the sky. "the sky's really beautiful."

he hummed in response, though his eyes never broke from me, and i finally looked up at him and gave a questioning look, to which he spoke. "hope?"

"yeah?" i responded, sitting up a bit, to which he seemed a bit surprised, tilting his head at me.

"i thought you only came out when you were sad." he stated questioningly, and i nodded before i laid my head back down on his shoulder and spoke quietly.

my eyes returned to the sky, watching stars begin to twinkle in the sky opposite of the horizon, the sky seeming to melt into itself as clouds formed. "i thought so too, but i found something else that makes me come out."

"which is?" he asked, to which i shut my eyes and inhaled softly before i spoke.

"love."

~
this was ok ig