SPEAK

serenity "renny" rivera

april 16, 2017

"what?" i mumbled, rolling over in the bed and opening my eyes to see jahseh standing over me, staring down at me, to which i stared back, blankly.

"sit up." he said, and i continued to stare at him blankly, while he did the same in return, before eventually, defeatedly doing so and sitting up, against the headboard.

he handed me a box, before hitting me in the side of my head and turning around to walk out, but not quick enough to dodge me hitting him back, with a punch to his arm, though he didn't respond or react, just continued out of the room.

i rubbed my tired eyes, glancing at the time on the cable box beneath the tv to see that it was 11:30 am, which was relatively early for me, because i woke up after noon almost every day.

i opened the box, which revealed another box inside, and my eyes widened slightly at the sight of the packaging of an iphone 7 plus, brand new and seemingly fresh out of the store, or delivered.

instinctively, my distrust made me open the box quickly to make sure there was actually a phone in it, and that this wasn't a prank or joke of some sort, but i was faced with the brand new, shiny phone when i opened the box, making me crack a small smile.

i had a lot of questioning thoughts, and plenty i would've liked to ask and say to him, though he'd left the room already, so i simply took the phone out and began setting it up, a gentle smile remaining on my face the entire time.

i hadn't had access to a cell phone in over a year, considering we weren't allowed to have them in the psych ward, and even before that i'd gotten my phone confiscated by the police during the investigation that'd led me to getting placed in the ward in the first place, and having a phone of my own in my hands again for the first time in so long almost felt surreal.

once i'd gotten done, i swung my legs off of the bed before getting up from it and walking out of the room, listening to the noise and laughter from downstairs, though not heading in the direction of it.

i walked down the hallway, quietly, to the largest bedroom in the house, to which the door was opened, and i poked my head in, seeing jahseh laying on his bed and deeply distracted by his phone, before i knocked on the door, just to get his attention.

he glanced up at me, though he didn't speak, and i bit my inner lip quickly before i spoke, fluffing out my curls while doing so, so i didn't look as awkward. "thank you."

he smirked at me, before nodding his head and then sitting up, then waving me over, which made me stare at him blankly before obliging and fully entering the room, and then sitting beside him on his huge bed.

"you're welcome," he said lowly, chuckling as he eyed me and went on. "you're not even that bad, really."

there was silence, and he brought his thin, tattooed hand onto my bare thigh beneath my shorts, his lighter skin tone above my brown skin a beautiful contrast of color, and i felt my heart skip a beat at the contact before i cleared my throat and spoke lowly, breaking my gaze from his hand.

"i definitely am."

he glanced over at me, shaking his head and now putting his phone down completely. "i don't think so. you remind me of me, which means you're really not that bad. just a little misunderstood."

i looked away from him, eyeing the clothes that lined the floor of his room, while his hand began to caress my thigh gently and move higher up, which made me place my hand over his and push it down gently, shaking my head.

i didn't give an opportunity for him to say anything more, as i stood myself up and exited the room calmly and quietly, shutting the door behind me, then letting out an exhale and shaking my head.

whatever his purpose in words was, they weren't going to work in any way, and if getting me that phone was an attempt to buy attraction or sex from me, it wasn't going to work, and i wanted no dealings with it.

truth be told, i saw myself as a monster, someone wicked and evil, who will poison any and everyone who gets too close.

it's the reason why i'm so quiet and distant, aside from my general dislike for all people, i do it for everyone's benefit on their own, as well.

i've got tired of hurting people.

i'd been standing outside of his door for a minute, quietly, before i turned around and bumped directly into the chest of robb, one of the other boys that lived in this house, which didn't scare me, though it confused me, as i had no idea how long he'd been behind me.

"yo." he said, to which i stared up at him blankly, while he continued to look down at me, and the awkward, silent and tense stare continued for at least two minutes before i, wordlessly, turned around and walked away.

i was thankful he didn't follow me, because i likely would've gotten annoyed, and i made my way back into my room, with the reminder to take my medicine coming to mind, and went over to my drawers to do so.

just as i opened my drawer, the door to my room opened, and i let out a quiet huff of frustration, mainly because i just can't seem to catch a break, before turning my attention to whomever was at the door, only to be faced with robb.

i guess i spoke too soon.

he took an uninvited seat on my bed, keeping his eyes on me the entire time while i stared back, leaning my back on the dresser as he ran fingers through his long, dreaded hair and stared at me intently.

he finally began to speak, his voice a low, deep, whisper-like tone, while he eyed me up and down, making me grow slightly agitated, though i kept my composure as i listened to his words.

"since you don't like to speak, i'll do all the talking, just listen, aight?"

~
hm