16. Daddy Dearest

Surprise (;

---------------------------------------------------

Flashback:
Sixteen Years Old Sanaa and Kabir:

Kabir noticed that Sanaa was disturbed from last few days. He thought that maybe it was because of exams. He thought of giving her a surprise on their birthday. He wanted to take her to some nice place for small party. Now that he had his grandfather's inheritance, he was receiving a good amount of money; they could go to some place nice.

Sanaa was disturbed because her father has given her the ultimatum that he won't allow her to study medicine. She didn't say anything to Kabir as she wanted to celebrate their birthday peacefully.

They were in the orphanage distributing chocolates to the kids. They cut the cake together even if her birthday was after one day as now it has become a ritual to cut the cake together.

The day was spent well and she was really happy until she entered her room.

"You haven't filled your form yet. I got a call from my friend in your school." Her father said and Sanaa closed her eyes.

"You know the reason dad. Please don't make it difficult for me. I want your support dad. I'm not interested in business." Sanaa pleaded for the hundredth time and Mr. Malik looked at her disappointingly.

"The daughter I raised won't deny her father's wishes." He tried to emotionally blackmail her and Sanaa wanted to scream that he didn't raise her. He didn't even care for her from past six years but kept quiet, not wanting to enter any unnecessary argument.

If her silence could avoid fights then why speak? And anyways you couldn't make someone understand something if they aren't ready to even see your point of view. So she never argued with him.

"It's late dad. I'm tired. I want to sleep. Can we talk later?" Sanaa tried to end the conversation and Mr. Malik even though not satisfied just nodded.

***

"Sweetie pie you haven't submitted the form yet." Bir asked next day.

"I'm still thinking, Bir." Sanaa replied and Kabir looked at her confused.

"What is there to think sweetie pie? You want to be a doctor since forever." Kabir asked.

"It's a big decision. Just want to be completely sure and check out all other options. You haven't filled the form too." Sanaa said trying to divert the topic.

"We will submit it together, you know that sweetie pie. You also know that I don't believe whatever you just said. You are hiding something. I'm not forcing you because it's your birthday tomorrow. But day after that we are having the talk." Kabir said in final tone and Sanaa just closed her eyes and nodded.

***

Sanaa cut the cake with Kabir and all her friends cheered. It was a small party in a restaurant near their house. Someone spilled the juice over Kabir's t shirt and he thought of going back to outhouse to change as it was nearby.

He informed Sanaa and asked Vaish to be with her. If there was someone whom he trusted his sweetie pie with it was Vaish.

He entered the outhouse and took a quick shower and changed his t shirt. He was about to head out when he heard a knock.

He was surprised to see Mr. Malik in the outhouse after almost six years.

Six years, Kabir was there but they talked only once. After that they just saw each other and made sure to avoid each other. Mr. Malik's manager was the communicator between them.