(45) TRotW: Consecutive Accidents!

"Yes. I've heard about this."

Riddle, Jonah, and Grim exchanged glances in surprise before turning back to Crowley. "You have?" Jonah asked.

Crowley solemnly nodded. "Prefect Ashengrotto had been reporting that there has been an increasingly concerning amount of people being injured in accidents around the school."

"So, it wasn't only an attack on Heartslabyul?" Riddle asked again.

"Indeed. Falling from stairs, getting scalded by boiling water, et cetera." Crowley slid a brown folder across the table. Riddle picked up the folder and opened it. Jonah and Grim looked over Riddle's shoulder. The three of them scanned through the reports of multiple incidents from various dorms as Crowley continued. "The reasons vary, but the fact that more people keep visiting the infirmary due to accidents still stands. Mister Clover's was actually the 11th victim."

Riddle looked up at this. "That many already?"

Crowley sighed and nodded again. "Unfortunately, there were very few witnesses..."

"Are you sure they were just being clumsy?" Grim asked.

Crowley hummed. "The Magical Shift Tournament is nearing and the students are indeed getting restless. Even so, the number of accidents compared to last year's is too much. Even more, all the people that were injured were students who were the top candidates for the Magical Shift Tournament."

Riddle closed his folder as he and Jonah exchanged a glance. They had the same expression on their face and shared the same idea. "You're saying that these were done on purpose," Jonah said, turning back to the headmaster.

"It had to be that," Riddle said. "I felt it myself." He then frowned. "However, if the accusation only comes from me, we don't have enough proof."

"You're right," Crowley said. "Though, all the accidents happened with at least one witness. And all the victims say the same thing. None of the ones injured were acting differently before."

"Wait..." Grim flew off Jonah's shoulder and landed on Crowley's desk. "I can see where are we going here."

All of them stared at the annoyed-look cat. "Oh?" Crowley perked up.

"You want us to investigate don't you?" Grim pointed his paw at the headmaster "Hah! Like I care!"

Riddle's hand curled up into a trembling fist. "What are you trying to say, cat?"

Grim clearly couldn't read the mood. He crossed his paws in front of his chest and turned away from Crowley, tail flicking in annoyance. "I mean, this doesn't concern me! I won't even be able to participate in the competition either way. I don't care what happens to the tournament now."

Jonah grabbed Riddle's shoulder, pressing it a bit too hard. Riddle's face was nearly red in anger. How dare this cat acted so selfish like that? Jonah looked at the cat. "Grim. Please consider this first-"

"Is that so...?" The headmaster cut Jonah off, staring at Grim with a playful glint in his eyes. "And here I went all the way to prepare a special reward for you..."

Grim smirked at him. "Hah! I'm not falling for that again! I won't cooperate if you don't give me at least a hundred canned tunas."

"Then what about... Allowing you to participate in the Magical Shift Tournament?"

Grim's tail stopped swishing. He turned his head slightly toward the headmaster. "What..."

Both Jonah and Riddle could see how Crowley's lips curled up into a smile. "Should you manage to solve the case, I will allow your dorm special rights to participate in this year's tournament." He laughed. "How about that? Oh, how very kind of me, is it not~?"

Grim turned toward him, staring at him with wide eyes and perked up ears. "A-Are you serious?!"

Crowley leaned back in his chair, clearly enjoying how he had caught the cat in his offer. "The winner of the tournament will be shown on TV internationally. It's a chance to be showered with praise and applause~ You might even get the chance to announce what a great newcomer you will be~!"

Grim clutched his head. "Th-this is bad... I'm getting lured in by the image alone...!"

Crowley then sighed dramatically. "However, you said you won't be cooperating, did you not? How unfortunate. Let's pretend I didn't say anything about the matter."

Grim gasped immediately flew toward Crowley's face in panic. "Wait for a second! I'll do it! I'll help out!"

Crowley faked a surprised expression. "Oh, my? You will?"

Grim puffed out his chest. "If you're gonna let me in the tournament, then it's obviously a yes!" He flew back to Jonah's shoulder. The boy himself looked like he just wanted to slam his head to a wall for Grim's always-changing wants. "Right, Jonah?"

Riddle sighed at this. "You have no shame, don't you?" He turned to the headmaster. "We will be needing these to investigate this if you don't mind."

Crowley nodded again. "Please, take it." He started at the small group of students, pulling up a gratitude-filled smile. "I will be counting on you."