(63) B&G: They Say My System is Overloaded!

The first thing Jonah noticed when he woke up was the feeling of being burned alive. His skin was tingling, his head felt lighter than ever, bile burned the back of his throat, and he couldn't move without feeling he was going to throw up - or pass out.

Something is wrong. Something is really, really wrong, and he knows it. He just can't place what is wrong.

He tried to lift his right hand, but he couldn't even feel it. It was as if it disappeared completely. In turn, he lifted his left hand to his face, pressing his palm to his pulsating, aching head. His fingers grazed thick gauze, and after the throbbing in his head finally diminished enough, he cracked his eyes open. He knew that ceiling.

The infirmary again?

What... What happened... To him...?

As soon as the thought entered his mind, he remembered everything. The Magishift Tournament; ambushing Savanaclaw; Senior Kingsholar's power; that bloody overblot battle; everyone getting hurt-

Jonah leaped out of the infirmary bed. When his feet touch the ground, he swayed, and black spots invaded his line of sight, but he didn't care.

His head was absolutely pounding, and he swallowed thickly, trying to take deep breaths to ward off sudden nausea. He stumbled more than walked, trying to make it to the door on the other side of the room.

He has... To make sure...

He hissed through his teeth in pain, clutching his head again.

... Ace... Deuce... Everyone...

He needs... To know... They're okay...

The tiled floor seemed to swirl beneath his feet. Bile burned the back of his throat.

He needs...

... To know...

Just as he reached out to turn the knob, the door swung open.

"Argentum!"

Jonah couldn't take it anymore. His knees gave up, but a pair of gloved hands caught him before he could meet the floor.

"Why are you out of your bed?"

He knew that voice. "H-Headmaster," he stuttered. Another bolt of pain shot through his head, and he gritted his teeth again.

"Come on, young man, back to bed."

Jonah didn't protest when Crowley picked him up in his arm. He leaned his head on the headmaster's shoulder as they crossed the room again.

"S-Senior K-Kingsholar," Jonah coughed. "T-The other... T-They're-" He broke off into a fit of coughing, each time sent pain to his stomach.

"Everyone is fine," Crowley whispered, quickened his pace. "You took the most between them. You have to stay down for a while, alright?"

Jonah sighed in relief. When Crowley placed him on his bed, the change of position from sitting to laying down made him want to puke. His head felt like it was full of cotton.

Jonah felt a hand was placed on his forehead. It felt so cool. A light shone at the corner of his vision, coming out from Crowley's mirror on his hips as ice magic came out from his gloveless hand.

"Don't beat yourself up over it," Crowley said. "You need to rest. You fought a tough battle."

Jonah reached weakly for his hand. "I... I couldn't..." His clutch was trembling. "I... I couldn't do anything..."