(55) TRotW: Truth of the Prosecution!

The gang gathered once again during lunch hour, this time in the cafeteria, all with their food and drink of the day. Though none of them focused on their food. Instead, all of their focus went straight to Jack Howl who was ready to expose everything.

"Senior Ruggie's unique magic is something that makes people mimic whatever he's doing," the wolf-boy stated. "He controlled the person he wanted to control and made it look like the accident was only because they were being careless."

Jonah hummed as he nodded. "So that's how he managed to trade Grim's bread for his without looking suspicious back at the cafeteria."

Grim was pouting as he took a big bite from his sandwich. "How dare he did that to me?! I get pissed off when I hear that incident! Grudges over food are to be feared, yanno!"

"But, wait..." Deuce perked up. "Wouldn't it be suspicious if he started pretending as he fell down the stairs near the target?"

"It's not like Senior Ruggie was acting alone during all those incidents," Howl answered. "The other guys from Savanaclaw are probably in on it, too."

"Wha–!?" Grim eyes widened, along with the rest. "The others too?!"

Howl solemnly nodded. "If they're around, he won't stand out too much even if he did his unique magic. That's why the other students acted as Senior Ruggie's wall so he wouldn't be seen."

"I see." Riddle was clutching his cup of milk tea a bit too hard. "So this is a conspiracy cause by the whole Savanaclaw."

"I guess I can see why they did that," Cater sighed. "Knowing that the Magical Shift Tournament's really beneficial to your future if you win."

Howl growled at that. Cater immediately raised hin hands. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry~ Just kidding!"

Howl huffed, looking at the empty can of cola. "Hmph! The present matters more than the future! If you can't show what you can do now, your future doesn't matter! The one I really can't stand is our prefect, Leona Kingscholar!"

Jonah nearly dropped his spoon. He should've seen this. There was no way Senior Bucchi is planning all of these. Just like that the hyena in his vision. All of them praised and followed the rules and orders of the lion. It was so obvious. But then...

... Does that mean those visions somehow gave the cryptic version of the future?

No. That couldn't be it. After all, during Riddle's vision, those were way off from the actual what happened. So, what the heck with those animal visions?

"Jonah?"

"Huh?" Jonah looked up. Riddle was looking at him worriedly. "Yes?"

He frowned. "Are you sure you're okay?"

Jonah gave him a small smile. "I'm okay. Just snoozed out a bit." He then sighed and glanced toward Howl. "Though, why would Senior Kingscholar go through all of this? He's quite strong in magic."

Howl crushed the soda can in his hand. "Right?! He's so powerful, but why doesn't he use it!? I hate those kinds of people the most!" He slowed down his breathing, still looking at the table, though there was that expression on his face. Not the regret expression he had seen on Senior Trey's face. But something else...

"The plays that Senior Leona did in the tournament three years ago were really amazing. That's why I entered this school... I got into Savanaclaw and I thought that I would be able to draw out his full potential in a game, but..."

"Hey, Deuce." Ace leaned toward Deuce, whispering to him. "I only keep hearing complaints about their Prefect, but..."

Deuce nodded. "He still respects him..."

"The incidents so far are like child's play to them," Howl continued. "I know that they're still after something bigger."

"Something bigger?" asked Deuce.

Howl nodded. "It's Diasomnia's Prefect, Malleus Draconia."

Riddle and Jonah's eyes widened. Malleus Draconia? That lion-boy was targeting him all along? Was it because of the headmaster's proposal back then? Had he not get over with it?

"He's got monstrous power and brought two consecutive victories for Diasomnia," Howl continued. "Thanks to him, Savanaclaw keeps getting eliminated in the first round. I bet that my seniors all have a grudge against him."

"Losing at the first round without scoring points..." Deuce muttered. "As previous top-placers, that must have been frustrating..."

"Yeah," the wolf-boy nodded. "They stopped being the center of attention ever since then. They're trying to gain that back..." He gritted his teeth. "But they're using such cowardly means...!"

"So you're thinking that they might do something to Diasomnia on the day of the tournament, huh?" Ace suggested.

Howl looked up toward them again, eyes shining with determination. "Yeah, that's why I want to break their plan!"

Cater turned to Riddle. "What do you think, Riddle?"

Riddle rested his elbow on the table and intertwined his fingers. "To think that they would trample on such a traditional event. How unforgivable," he said. "We can't apprehend Ruggie right now because we're lacking in proofs."

Jonah nodded. "We're dealing with the sharp-witted Senior Kingscholar. I doubt that we'll get them to confess smoothly."

Ace frowned as he looked between the two of them. "In other words, we have no choice but to catch them in the act?"

Riddle and Jonah exchanged a glance. It appeared that they had the same idea. "We're going to need a plan," said Riddle.

Jonah nodded. "Right. But, first thing first." Jonah turned to Howl again. "I don't know how Savanaclaw will react to this betrayal, Howl, so it wouldn't be safe for you to go back there."

Howl frowned. "I can take care of myself."

Jonah chuckled. "I know that. But none of us can guarantee that you can still walk tomorrow." He sipped his orange juice. "If you want to stay safe, at least for tonight." The corner of his lips curled up. "I purpose a sleepover."

Howl blinked. "... A... sleepover?"

"I collect wayward children, you see?" Ignoring the noises coming from the offended Ace and Deuce, Jonah continued. "In fact, we can have a meeting to discuss this plan there too." He glanced at Riddle. "What do you say, Senior Riddle?"

Riddle nodded. "I agree with Jonah. Just to be safe."

Howl sighed. "Alright. I'll follow your plan."

"Excellent, Mister Howl." Jonah giggled. "Oh, and I hope you know how to play UNO."