33: The Start of Something New

"Lauren....her EKG is doing its job. It sends a shock to the heart when there is an irregular heart beat but the shock was so strong this time it sent her into cardiac arrest. We went in got her heart to start working. The crazy thing we lost her for a few seconds. But she's ok and fine now. The good news....Lauren is ok. She's in bad condition but she's ok. The bad news, her heart is failing. She's on a very thin line right now and it's up to you. We want to do a transplant but with that Lauren will be hospitalized for about 5 months to a year just to make sure the heart is functioning correcting. The great thing about that is that if the heart works and all she'll be able to play shorts and do all that good stuff. The bad thing about it is that we don't know if the heart we have for her is going to work as of now. The other option is a pacemaker. I don't recommend this because it is just like the EKG but it doesn't shock her to know it's working. It just sits their and pulses the heart to get it to pump correctly. But about the transplants. We have two hearts with Lauren's name on it. The first one is from a girl about her age. Died in a car crash. EMS in the scene quickly got her heart and any other organs that weren't damaged. The second one is from a boy who died in a heart surgery. Luckily the heart was fine..."

"Wait boy...about how old was he?" Clara asked looking at Lauren's doctor.

"Six or seven. Oh my, it's your son's heart. We've had it for a while. Lauren is the first transplant we've had in months. We try to match up age but this heart should work perfectly considering blood type and all. The whole was actually fixed. Would you like to go through with this then?" He asked looking through a folder.

"Yes! Please yes!" Clara said excitedly.

"Alright. Well the OR is open tomorrow at six in the morning so we will get her in and start working. You guys may go visit her. Two at a time please." He said walking the three to her room.

"May I go in first? Then I'll get out the way and go home or something." Camila said softly.

"Sure yeah go ahead." Michael said looking at her. Camila smiled sympathetically and walked into the room. The sound of oxygen being pumped into Lauren. Her gown laid lazily on her. An IV in the same spot as last time. Camila sighed. She noticed a bandage around her head. The door opened and a nurse walked in.

"Hey what happened to her head?" Camila asked looking at the girl.

"When she fell from the shock she hit her head. It started bleeding so we wrapped her up." She said looking at Camila.

"Oh ok thanks." Camila said looking back at Lauren. The nurse finished checking things then left.

"They're getting you a new heart." Camila mumbled softly looking at her. She realized Lauren shivered a bit. "You're cold...." Camila stated touching her hand. She pulled her covers up and placed her hands underneath it.

"You love scaring me don't you?" Camila chuckled to herself. "You can faint and have all the heart attacks you want but you can not die on me. I love you too much for it. Oh yeah and happy New Years baby." Camila kissed the corner of her mouth. Lauren's lips moved a bit but she didn't wake up. "I'm going to go. I'll be back before your surgery." Camila mumbled. She turned to walk away when she felt Lauren grab her wrist.

"Thank you..." Lauren said her eyes barely open.

"You're welcome Lauren." Camila said softly before walking out.

"She's all yours. I'll be back before the surgery. " Camila said looking at them.

"Alright. Thank you for getting her here." Clara said smiling at her.

"No problem." Camila smiled.

---
Camila could barely sleep thinking about Lauren. She got up and walked down into the kitchen pouring a glass of orange juice and sitting at the counter. The lights flickered on in the hall way and her tired father walked into the kitchen himself.