Chapter Sixteen

SO AFTER TYPING MOST OF THE FOLLOWING, I THINK I BADLY NARRATED THE MATCH AGAINST SEIJOH TOO MUCH, IF YOU WANNA READ, BE MY GUEST, IF YOU DON'T, STILL. Most of you who didn't read this would instead read through something much longer. There's probably a time skip, I think.

.

Katsumi's Pov

Oikawa was really something else. You could see how he watches each of his members carefully and how he connects them all together. There were times that he looked so serious it was scary, but I also caught him playing and acting childishly towards his team. Especially around his Vice Captain.

My eye was narrowed as I was forced to watch Oikawa's techniques. It was irritating but amazing alright. He took the first point by doing a dump shot, then I believe he told Hinata and Tanaka-san that he'd do it again, but he was more obvious about it, so the only he thing he would do is-

That.

A toss in the air, in motion of a spike. Damn it.

The next move involved another unexpected dump shot but from Kageyama this time. He said something to Oikawa and it made me smile, knowing Oikawa got pissed at what he said. It was Kageyama's turn to serve, and it was still as impressive as ever, but it went out.

My eyes landed on Oikawa as the whistle blew. This time, It was his serve. It was his serve and it was powerful. Although it seemed a bit off when it went straight for our libero. The last second it spinned to one side, but Noya-san predicted this, and kept the ball in play.

'Nice recieve, Noya-san' I mindlessly mumbled to myself.

Two elder men who was standing a few feet from me looked at my direction. I grew stiff at the sudden attention until they gave me a friendly smile and introduced themselves as the town team. They also told me about how they had a match with the boys as a favor for coack Ukai. I think I saw them yesterday but paid no mind to it. We continued to watch the game right after.

The opposing team used their first time out quite early. In addition, they were in the upper hand so this brought confusion to the spectators. I was clueless as to what was going on so I waited patiently for what's next.

And damn that Oikawa for being what he is. He figured out our freak duo's signals quickly like it was the most obvious thing in the court.

The game kept going. I noticed how Tanaka-san's energy seems to rub off on the others. He was so energetic it was kinda scary. I guess Oikawa noticed this too since he started targeting the said player. At first I was irritated, but it soon turned to worry as I considered how the second year must feel. Kohana and him had this in common. They always made sure the other teammates mental and physical condition was taken to account. They wouldn't stop until you were as lively as them, letting them believe that as long as it isn't official, the other team hasn't won yet.

Imagine how happy I was when Tanaka-san called for the toss and scored. Breaking Oikawa's streak of monster serves he wasn't able to recieve. I swear if I was a male, I'd do my best and best him infront of everyone. I mean, a king, even a grand king, has only so much kingdom he could conquer.

The game was taking it's toll on Kageyama. This was what made me watch even more carefully. He was losing his cool, the he was trying to quicken the pace, at first it was stable but soon Tsukishima missed his toss and Kageyama didn't look too good.

New thing he knew, he was switched out. Sugawara-san went in and Kageyama was benched. I leaned on the railings to steal a glance at him as coach was mumbling some stuff. I caught his eye and I only gave him a small smile. His expression shifted into a softer one for a bit, before it returned and he gave me a curt nod.

My gaze landed on Sugawara-san who was jogging to his place, hitting several of the players on the way, and finally high fiving Noya-san with both hands, making me shake my head a I softly chuckle.

Taking Suga-san's height to their advantage, Seijoh immediately did a straight, at Suga-san's block, but he rapidly switched places with Tsukishima at the last second. I smiled to myself, 'Ah typical, Suga-senpai.'

Suga-senpai's time just watching the game unfold was actually quite useful. He was able to confuse and change the flow of the game. But the gap in points was too wide. Seijoh took the first set.

.

THINGS WE'LL BE QUICKER FROM HERE, I APOLOGIZE.

.

After a series of back and forth, halfway through the second set, Seijoh was able to take the lead, but unlike the first, Karasuno was just a point behind. What suprised me most was when Kageyama got switched in, he actually tried to smile. Like a toothy smile. The members reacted badly to it though. I stiffled my laugh, and looked down. I waved my hand at Suga-san and when he looked at me, I gave him a thumbs up. He sheepishly grinned and rubbed the nape of his neck, before walking to Yamaguchi and the rest.

As soon as Kageyama entered the court, it was his time to serve. It was a service ace that quickly bounced off the libero, their scores tied once more.

Kageyama started to consider the other players after that. I guess he learned something from his Senpai. It was going smoothly as they reached twenty first. Not that it was something to be happy about since Seijoh was only a point behind.

We reached set point first, but I think that provoked the vice captain who scored aggressively after that. Now they were only a point behind, if we score then we take the set. If they score, it was a deuce.

Unfortunately, it just had to be Oikawa's serve.

Fortunately, our libero was a pain for them.

The ball was soon in Oikawa's hands, chances that they're going for a straight at the center was high, but the blockers saw right through it and was able to shut down the Vice Captain's hit. Earning themselves a point, they just took the second set.

.

.

.

First, there was a short silence.

Then a loud roar. The cheering came from the crowd before the players. They were hit with a surge of happiness, cheering, shouting, laughter and smiles. The players grinning widely, pumping their fists in the air, victorious. The light was bright from above, making their sweaty figures shine as their expressions were proud and whole.

Of course, this all happened on the other side of the court.

There may only be a net between them, but they were on completely different levels. The players were frozen. Some were still shocked, but soon everyone had despair written all over their faces. Head hung low, they slowly stepped out of the court, knowing they had lost the chance of staying.

Me? Oh I couldn't move at first, but when I saw the looks on their faces, I began to worry for them. My heart ached seeing them like that.

They slowly made their way out the court as I quickly ran down to catch up with them.

.

They were once again in a meeting. But this time, there was no match for tomorrow that they would prepare for.

Everyone was so down, the atmosphere was cold and unnerving. But it was understandable, knowing how much they worked hard for. Unexpectedly, coach treated them for some grub, saying how they should eat to become stronger. His words definitely had it's impact on the boys since they started crying while eating after saying their thanks for the food. It was a painful sight to see. I bowed my head, only staring down on my empty bowl, lacking appetite. I lightly flinched as a piece of food was placed on it. I looked up infront of me and saw Tsukishima. I'm not even suprised he was the only one who didn't shed a single tear. He gestured to the food with his chopsticks once more, I looked at it before looking up at him again. I nodded and started to eat. The boys were taking the blow much harder than me, I shouldn't let this one match shatter their aspirations.

We will fly again, and next time, it'll be much higher.

.

I know, this chApter is dissapointing, but I think I'll update twice todayy 🙃