Chapter Forty-eight

"I'm sorry I had to leave like that..." Katsumi sighed as she apologized over the phone.

"It's fine. There's still next time... right?"

"Yeah.." A soft chuckle escaped her lips.

The call ended moments later. Katsumi placed her phone back in her bag before looking at her two sisters. Kohana had her head in Kiyoko's lap, asleep. Kiyoko was looking out the window where the surroundings were passing by in a blur. Worry evident in her eyes. The three of them were in a train back to Tokyo after recieving the same news from their parents.

Just like Kiyoko, Katsumi laid her head back and watched the sun dissapear over the horizon.

'I hope your okay, suji-nii...'

.

Wasting no time at all, The three of them immediately went straight to the hospital that their mother said.
They had no luggage after all, just bringing their valuables since they already had clothes and other necessities here.

Katsumi met up with her sisters at the station right after the call. She had to leave Tsukishima in a hurry with a lousy explaination. So much for her first date.

Spotting her daughters in the distance, Katsumi's mother smiled at them. Her eyes were puffy, obviously from crying. Kohana instantly ran up to her for a hug, Katsumi and Kiyoko following seconds later.

"It's gonna be okay mom... he's gonna be okay." Katsumi wiped her own tear that managed to slip and tried to give her mother a comforting smile. The woman nodded before taking in the appearance of her children. Then a wide smile planted itself on her lips.

"Oh my daughters, you all look lovely.." She sniffed.

Katsumi and Kohana sat down with her while Kiyoko went to the cafeteria for some water. They were seated at a bench by the corridors. Doctors and nurses in white hurrying and shuffling around since they were by the emergency department. Moments later, their father appeared and joined them, right after Kiyoko came back.  Everyone was now waiting for the doctor to come out of a certain door.

They didn't need to hear it to know that their parent's blamed themselves for what happened to their brother. Not one uttered a word, just the exchange of reassuring glances. Even their father who had kept a straight face all this time, was angry with himself but the worry for his son was still dominant. Who wouldn't be when you suddenly found out that your child was this ill and you had no clue at all.

Their heads snapped when they heard the door open.

"Shimizu Katsuji?"

Katsumi's Pov

To say that everything happened all too quickly was an understatement. As I watch the doctor speak to my parents I still can't help but continue to process what happened. So imagine how suprised we all were when we found out that he actually knew about it and didn't bother telling anyone.

I get the fact that he might have been scared of no longer playing baseball, but he literally discarded his own health and what might happen to him.

"I'm sorry but, Katsuji has colorectal cancer.."

Turns out he had it for a while now. It was the slow developing type, but since he kept it to himself for more than a year now, it's gotten a lot worse. And to think it was curable if it was still on its earliest stage.

I rubbed the bridge of my nose in frustration. All I know now is that my ridiculous brother is in there fighting for his life.

Look what you've done Suji-nee.. now there just might be a chance you really can't play anymore. There's usually nothing wrong with being passionate towards a sport. But you should have chosen to prioritize yourself.

.

The door was pushed open. Making me, Kohana and Kiyoko-nee look towards it's direction. Our parents came out of the room. Mom trying her best to stop herself from crying again but tears were already falling down her cheeks. Dad had his hand on her shoulder as he led her towards us.

"You can go in."

I quickly nodded before following Kohana who had already made her way inside, Kiyoko-nee following closely behind me.

Just like the rest of the hospital, the room was plain white. The interior design was modern, slightly like a hotel. There were minimal touches to make it look a little more inviting like plants and chic curtains.

After waiting for a few hours, he was finally transferred to a room on the top floor. There were little who could afford the rooms up there so the floor was practically empty.

One of the windows were open, revealing a beautiful view of the city lights.

But what caught our eyes first was the figure on the bed. He was sitting up, his features shifting into a smile as he saw us. It was suprising to see this genuine one and not his usual cocky grin. Most of the time he kept a straight face like dad, but he flashes everyone a grin everytime he wins a game.

This smile? This smile made Kohana burst into tears, while running to tackle him in a hug. He rubbed her back while trying to hush her, me and Kiyoko slowly tearing up ourselves as we walked closer.

If you took in his appearance, you would already conclude that he wasn't in his best shape. His extremely handsome face was now slightly thinner, his cheekbones popping out and his plump and reddish lips were as pale as his skin. It's a wonder how he still looked deviously charming in a way, but he also looks tired and in pain by the look he had on his face.

"How are you?" Kiyoko-nee asked.

We turned to him and he still had the same gentle smile on his face. The smile similar to Katsumi's. She would have said something if only the situation wasn't so serious.

"I think I'm fine.. atleast at the moment." He replied. His gaze set on the ceiling, his chest rising up and down as he took deep breaths.

Without warning, Kohana smacked his arm making him flinch. Kiyoko-nee and I exchanged looks before eyeing Kohana who was slightly glaring at her brother.

"What was that for?" He asked, rubbing his arm.

"What was that for?" She mimicked, crossing hers.

"Don't say that nii-san! You're only gonna be here for a while! You're going to be okay and you're going still going to play!"

To Katsumi, it sounded as if Kohana was trying to convince herself, and not their brother.

Katsuji looked at Kohana with no expression on his face. But his eyes held so much pain that he refuses to show. He wanted to say something like that to cheer his little sister up. He wanted to agree with her and joke about the whole situation even if he wasn't one for humor. All he wanted was to avoid this situation where he stupidly led himself in. He did want to be okay.. he did want to still play... but not everything just goes your way.

"Stop fooling yourself Kohana. Stop convincing yourself that everything will turn out okay because it won't, and it's alright. I'm not going to be fine, and it's alright. I don't even know if I could still go home.. much more play, but it's still alright."

He bit his lip and took a deep breath before closing his eyes, and laying back on his bed once more.

"I'm going to die and it's alright."

.

It's me again.

I'll probably try and update every sunday if I could. Online classes are such a pain in the ass and I'm one of the few assigned with extra ones because I'm in the advanced section so even my saturdays aren't free. I'm sorry for being gone for so long. I wanted to finish this book quickly because I'm honestly excited about writing the next ones but I guess that'll have to wait as well..

Thank you to those who left comments because reading them really makes me happy.

I hope all of you stays safe❤