Chapter Twenty-Two

Katsumi's Pov

The next day came and it was your average busy day for the volleyball team because of the upcoming exams and all the practice.

But for me, last night' event was still engraved in my head and I don't think I'll be forgetting it any time soon. Tsukishima made sure to tell me to call him when I got home and I did..

Of course who would also forget the feeling of being protected in those arms? It was a good feeling whatever it was. It was also the only thing that made my heart pound harder than ever and made that much heat rise to my face like it was on fire.

I was now fidgeting with the pen in my hands as I watched the boys practice. My eyes kept glancing towards a certain blonde before looking away with pink cheeks everytime he almost caught me. In fact, because I kept looking at him, I noticed he was a faint shade of red the whole afternoon.. he also looks more uninterested than usual..

I really couldn't tell if he was tired or just slacking off. I brushed this thought aside as I continue to watch.

.

Remembering I had to study, I asked Kiyoko-san if I could leave early. Practice was nearly done and some of the members were allowed to go as long as they're done for the day.

I picked up my bag and walked towards the gate and I spotted two familiar figures near it.

"Yamaguchi..! Tsukishima! Wait up!" They looked behind as I yelled as I quickened my pace to catch up with them.

The three of us walked. Me and Yamaguchi doing all the talking while Tsukishima still looked red, tired and cranky. He coughed every now and then, and I kept stealing glances at him. He didn't notice and he paid no attention to our conversation, having his headphones on the whole time.

Yamaguchi soon had to part ways as he told us he had something to do. Of course, me being me, asked him what it was and found out he was perfecting his jump float serve, much to my suprise.

I waved him goodbye and started walking again. Before I could call out to Tsukishima, the said boy started coughing once more. This time, it was louder and deeper.

He faced away from me, trying not to cough infront of me as I came closer to him.

"Tsukishima..?" I softly said, worried.

It finally stopped and he turned towards me. Without hesitation, I placed my hand on his forehead and that's when I felt his temperature and confirmed it.

"You're sick.." I gently stated. Now pitying him. Why did he even go to school in such state?

He gave me a look and raised his brow.

"You have a fever." I simply told him.

"What? No I don't." He furrowed his eyebrows. And right after saying that he continued his series of coughs.

"Seriously? Why are you denying the obvious?" I shook my head in disbelief at his stubbornness.

He ignored my words and continued walking past me as he let out a small grunt.

I furrowed my brows in irritation before I hurriedly followed him. I came to a halt when he stopped. His back facing me, he started coughing once more.

Okay, I've had enough of this.

"Okay, I'm walking you home since you're clearly not okay." I firmly stated.

He turned to face me and opened his mouth in protest but I interrupted.

"No buts, Tsukishima Kei. I'm accompanying you whether you like it or not."
His eyes were narrowed at me and mine was too.