Chapter Thirty-two

October 25th,
The Sendai City Gymnasium

They're here. They're all here. The top 16 teams comprised of the interhigh preliminaries top 8 and the 8 victors from the first spring high preliminaries, who all fight to be the sole representative of their prefecture.

.

*tweeeeett*

"Let's have a good game!!" Both Karasuno and Jouzenji lined up and bowed before the selected players proceeded to the starting line-up.

"Karasuno, Fight!!"

"Ossu!" Katsumi and Yachi grinned as they also chanted, Takinoue beside them.

Katsumi smiled to herself she admired the blonde megane from above. She was snapped out of her daze when Tsukishima caught her staring and smirked, making her look away with a blush across her face, flustered.

The game started with Karasuno's serve. It consisted with Asahi's intense jump serve, suprising the opponents. But everyone was more taken aback when the other team was able to keep it in play. What made Katsumi gasp was how Jouzenji's captain spiked it from the endline, while turning around.

No one was able to recieve it, as they were still processing what had happened. The first point going to Jouzenji, the boys in yellow cheering.

Next attack from Karasuno was Tanaka's spike, that was recieved by the libero with a compromised kick, his teammate instantly hitting it back to the other side of the net with much force.

Katsumi's Pov

"They're.. insane." I whispered to myself as I watched Jouzenji in disbelief. I was told beforehand about them being on 'playtime mode' and being unpredictable but I never expected this.

It's scary how they're effortlessly adaptable and how such movements aren't flukes. There's no telling what they'd do next and nothing could disturb their rhythm.

It's like, for them, 'uncertainties' are 'normal' and thus, a weapon.

We got our first point when they messed up their serve, but heck, they were just as lively whether they score or miss. But what's weirder, is I end up liking them.

I mentally scolded myself since I'm supposed to be on our side. Seriously, I was their manager for crying out loud.

Oh did I mention Hinata is actually Spider-Man? Tanaka-san was able to keep the ball of the floor but it flew near the bleachers. People most likely thought there was no way to keep it in play but Hinata flew after it, hit it, and jumped off the wall with an excited smile on his face.

"Way to go Hinata!" I cheered. God I love that boy.

The game continued before us, we scored several points with the quick, kill blocks, and regular attacks and so did the other team. Me and Yachi, often averted our attention from the match and towards Takinoue-san, who had his say about the game from time to time.

.

"To-Tobio..?!" I jumped as the setter turned around. He blocked the ball, with his face. It's different and 'normal' when Hinata does it, but Tobio's move was unexpected and his nose is bleeding.

They were clearly trying to switch him out but it looks like he was denying that his nose was bleeding which is really stupid.

While he was gone, Hinata was also switched out with Narita-san. It was understandable since I noticed Narita-san practiced with Suga-senpai more often than Hinata. It was also the right choice since they scored a few points with each other.

Kageyama was back but they didn't switch him and Hinata in yet. I cheered as the boys executed a synchronized attack perfectly with Suga-senpai and scored.

We were at set point.

One more point and-.. wait..

"Jouzenji's also pulling off a synchronized attack?!"

They were doing it as well..! Right after ours!! Everyone was on edge as we watched the other team move.

"TAAKKEE... THis?"

I sweat dropped before exchanging weirded out looks with Yachi. We just witnessed the opposing team's attempt in a synchronized attack fail as they missed the ball.

They're brave, I'll give it to them.

I was still dazed when the whistle blew, and that's when it hit me. We won the first set.

I cheered as the players took a break. I was still bothered about Jouzenji's synchronized attack, not because it failed, but because I think it was probably done off-the-cuff from watching ours. After watching them for a while you'd believe they'd pull of such a risk, even if we were at set point. Yes, they were that reckless and it was scary.

A few minutes later and the whistle blew once more, indicating the start of the second set.

We were definitely killing it. There was now a five point difference almost halfway through the set. The opposing team called for a time out.

Suprisingly, after the time out, Jouzenji looked like they were finally taking the match seriously.

And they did. They scored several point after the time out, catching up, although we were still in the lead by a mere two points. Thanks to Hinata's new special move, a feint, we were already at set point.

I tilted my head in confusion as I watched Jouzenji. Are they serious? They're really going to try another synchronized attack when we were at set poin, because it looked like it's happening.

This time, it was a success, making my eyes go wide. It took some time for our team to perfect it but I don't think it was a fluke for the opposing team on their second try.

'Impressive.' I thought.

Although, I spoke too soon. It was an out.  We won. We won, not only the set, but the match.

.

"Great job guys!" I said as I ran to the victorious group. I laughed as Tanaka-san and Noya-san attempted to give Yachi a high five at the same time, before being dragged away and told not to jump on a girl like that.

"I can carry your bag." Kageyama said after wiping his face with a towel as he stretched out his hand.

"I can carry it too. Anyways, you need to rest your muscles." I gave him a look that said 'thanks, but no thanks.'

"Hey..!" He snatched my bag and continued walking.

"It's not even heavy." He looked back before gesturing for me to follow.

"Exactly." I retorted, but didn't ask for my bag back. I rolled my eyes as he gave me a small smile and messed up my hair. We were both unaware of the set of eyes staring holes at the back of our heads.

The group kept walking as we heard the whistle blew from somewhere near.

"The match on court B is over..?!" Hinata exclaimed as he walked towards the open door, me and Kageyama behind him.

"Whoever won will be our next opponent." The setter beside me stated.

We stood at the doorway to steal a glance at the winners.

Next we'll be facing Wakutaniminami High School.