Chapter Twenty-Three

{Third Person}

"Dinner's ready!"

The blonde and the girl beside him broke away from the staring as they heard the yell from the dining room.

Katsumi stood up as she brushed her fingers through her hair. She turned her head towards Tsukishima and asked.

"Can you get up..?"

"I'm sick, not injured." He retorted almost instantly, much to the girl's annoyance.

She rolled her eyes as she watch him sit up. Most people aren't suppose to be mean when they're sick. Either because they don't feel well enough or they're grateful to the person attending to their needs. Then there's Tsukishima Kei with not a single hint of remorse. If his face wasn't in that shade of red then no one would assume the boy was sick.

Tsukishima casually entered the dining room and immediately sat down on one of the seats, while Katsumi who was trailing behind him, offered her help to bring the food to the table.

"Alright, tell me what you think of the food okay?" The elder Tsukishima said as she sat down.

"Katsumi." Was all Kei said before patting the seat next to him. Katsumi, in no position to protest, obliged. Both unaware of the mischievous look the other woman had on her face.

"Itadakimasu." They chanted before beginning to fill their bowls.

"So..first name basis, huh?" Katsumi slightly choked at her words before she collected herself.

"Mom." Kei had his eyes narrowed and his mom decided not to piss her son today (because he was ill, so maybe next time >:).

The meal between the three consisted of Tsukki's mother asking questions about the young girl before her, who answered politely, her smile not faltering. She couldn't wait to tell her stories about her son but decided against it at the moment.

After eating, Katsumi immediately walked away to do the dishes before anyone could tell her not to.

Katsumi's Pov

Tsukishima's mother was really nice and talkative. Too bad her son didn't inherit it from her. Maybe her other son did..?

I recalled seeing a portrait earlier. I thought it was Tsukishima with a younger child that looked like him, but it turns out the child was actually Tsukki himself. I didn't recognize him immediately because he had a wide grin on his face and he looked really happy while holding a volleyball and clinging onto the older man's jacket. If it weren't for him wearing glasses then I never would have guessed.

I was pulled out of my thoughts as Tsukishima-san appeared next to me.

"You shouldn't have to do that dear." She said, helping me.

"No it's okay. I want to." I smiled. It was the least I could do.

It was silent for a minute before she smiled once more and started talking.

"About Kei.."

.

I did not expect that.

At first she asked about his behavior and how he seemed to be fond of me (I disagreed, but she persisted). Then she told me how he lost his passion towards the sport and how his perspective changed.

As she spoke I felt the hurt in her voice like it was somehow her fault even though it was far from being that. It was clear she missed the old Tsukki and how he used to be.

I placed my hand on top of hers and gave it a comforting squeeze. It was sad to know she felt this way and I couldn't imagine how Tsukishima's older brother must feel.