Chapter Forty-five

"...what?"

Brows furrowed in confusion, Katsumi turned her head towards Reiko, then back at Akari who had an uneasy look on her face. Nobody knew if it was out of guilt or pity for the girl... maybe even both.

"I think we should start cleaning up."

The boy's never thought they'd be that relieved to hear those words from Sugawara. They instantly scattered trying to pretend that it was their regular cleaning session, although some stubborn few still wanted to listen in, so they hesitated.

Daichi also wanted to hear the rest of the conversation, but being the captain that he was, he dragged the rest who didn't plan on moving away.

Leaving Kohana and Kiyoko to move if they wanted to. Katsumi faced her sisters who were avoiding her gaze.. but the akward silence made them sigh before leaving the group as well.

"So.. based on your genuinely suprised expression.. I'm confirming it wasn't true after all." Akari chuckled nervously.

"I don't... I-.. What wasn't true?" Katsumi asked almost too eagerly.

"Why don't we sit down?" Yuki suggested as she dropped on the floor cross-legged and patting the spot beside her for the rest to do the same.

The girls slowly formed a circle before exchanging looks and turning towards Katsumi.

"Where do we start..? I think- I think Reiko knows where." Akari stated.

Reiko scrunched up her face before grunting.

"Alright. I- I told the team that you betrayed us and you said some stuff to coach Fujita, making her quit."

She took a deep breath before continuing. "Okay but I also thought it was true so it's not entirely my fault." She raised her hands defensively.

"Misaki told me that you were the only one who wrote down the game plan for the next match. And of course that was true since you were always the one who planned them.. but even though you write them.. why don't you bring your notes out during practice?"

"I.. I didn't think it was necessary.. I mean, I always had it memorized so I only write it down incase I forget the pattern.." Katsumi's voice trailed  off. She didn't understand how this was relevant.

"Okay but, but Misaki told me that you told her you lost them but didn't want to bother the team with it since it wasn't a big deal. And since you have it memorized then it really wasn't."

"But the problem was she told me how she saw you at Itakura talking to their captain.." Reiko's tone shifted as if questioning if it was true.

"You mean Maita-chan? She's my friend."

"So you did see her some time during that year?" Chiyo inquired.

"I see her weekly because my mom tells me to.. Our parent's are close and we went to kindergarten together." Katsumi found herself explaining, also missing the girl she was talking about.

Somewhere in Tokyo, a petite brunette instantly stopped in her tracks. Sneezing, she accidentally dropping the stack of papers she was carrying.

She crouched down on the floor and started picking them up when a pair of hands started helping her out.

"Someone's talking about you."

Standing up, Maita blushed heavily as her crush, Naoyaso Kuguri stretched out the rest of the papers towards her. His gaze still lazy even when she thanked him before they separated ways. Before Kuguri, she always thought that going to Nohebi was a bad idea, but that wasn't the case now.

"Well as long as you didn't give her anything." Reiko raised a brow.

"I bring her ice cream from time to time but-.. wait-" Katsumi's eyes grew wide in realization.

"You didn't think I gave out our game plan, did you?" She asked in disbelief.

"I-.. I actually assumed you did. That was my mistake- I believed Misaki without confronting you.. andd~~ I kind of exaggerated to the them that you practice with the girls from Itakura because you've had enough of our constant mistakes."

By now, everyone found the floor interesting as if it was the most polished piece of wood they encountered their whole lives.

"I would never think of you guys as handful.. much more selld you out to our rivals. Maita was my friend but, so were you guys.. and if I wanted them to win then why would I even strive for us to beat them? And I never lost the game plan you know, it was still in my locker at the clubroom."

Akari gave Katsumi an impish grin while the rest started groaning.

"Also.. what did you tell them that I told the coach?" Katsumi asked Reiko, who looked like a child who was being scolded.

"Misaki okay? Misaki told me.. who told them." She huffed.

"Just say it already!" Yuki exclaimed.

"Fine! Jeez no need to snap. She said you kept discouraging Coach Fujita to continue her job because she was terrible. You said that she wasn't needed because you were the one who always managed the play patterns and when you'll be captain, you'll be responsible for the whole team too. Of course that would make her rethink her decision because it's true, but we all know we loved that woman because she was our number one fan. She was like an older sister."

"The thing is, I-"

"Didn't do it. We know." Akari said.

"Yeah... that. She was also very dear to me, I mean, we literally cried our eyes out when she told us she was leaving. And I never even thought about being captain so remember how suprised I was when you made me vice."

Katsumi rubbed her temples. Seriously, all that over something so silly. If only she knew this a year ago, then she could have countered the false information and things wouldn't have led to this.

"Okay but we were in second year middleschool.. so we were immature and things escalated.. Increasingly too when we got into third year and Katsumi got better and better." Akari stated.

"I think it was just envy from there." Yuki admitted, chuckling akwardly.

After that little confrontation, the five girls tried their best to get rid of the awkwardness, it wasn't that hard since they used to be the closest of friends (Reiko was forced to apologize then she pretended to not like how the group was catching up to each other).

Then they thought that maybe.. just maybe, meeting again wasn't such a bad idea.

.

Unedited.

I just badly wanna update.