Chapter Forty-one

"HER LEFT HAND?!"

Katsumi's feet touched the ground after earning them the last point, winning the first set.

Everyone was so sure she was going to do a rebound since the toss was off and Misaki and Reiko blocked, but instead she shifted to her left hand and did an unexpected cross shot.

The six girls on the court was panting heavily as they stared at each other, not uttering a single word. Akari had no expression, Reiko's face was twitching, and Misaki looked tired.

On the other side, Katsumi's face was also neutral, her gaze cold, Kohana wanted to pass out but she was enjoying herself and Michimiya had her hands on her knees.

.

Taking a short break before the second set, the other team went with the rest of the girls where their bags were.

Katsumi was drinking water, sitting down with her head low, a distance from the rest.

Hinata and some others wanted to go and talk to her, but was stopped by Kohana who said not to disturb her.

"Why..?"

"One word, concentrating. " Kohana said as she pushed them back. Once Katsumi found her momentum, it was best to let her be. Once she's like that all thoughts on her head were about the match, the rhythm of the team, how to earn more points and strategies she could pull off to win the game. She didn't even notice how the girls on the other side were shooting her deadly glares.

.

"Katsumi can use both her hands?" Kageyama asked.

"Yeah. After your match with Shiratorizowa, she trained when she was alone sometimes and I found out she was trying to play with her left hand." Kohana answered the raven haired setter, waving her left hand around.

"So she saw Ushiwaka, practiced, and can now pull it off? That's harder said than done. She's a machine you can just program." Ennoshita was still baffled.

"More like a spiking machine."

"I know right?" Kohana grinned as she wiped her sweat.

"Uhm, Kohana-chan.. if you don't mind me asking, what did they mean you didn't get a chance to play before?" Hinata asked.

"Oh-.. I'm suprised you got that."

"It's okay if you don't-"

"No I don't mind. I wasn't injured or anything like Katsumi.."

"Funny thing is I'm not anything like Katsumi when it comes to academics as well. I failed the entrance exam to the school we both wanted for junior high. It was almost impossible to even take Joritzumi's exam, much more get accepted.." Kohana said casually, it was true that she didn't mind at all. She was just glad to be here in Karasuno with Katsumi even though she never really expected they'd spend the three years here.

"We were also close to playing agaisnt each other, but my team lost in the semi finals against the team they fought in the finals. They instantly got dominated by Joritzumi though."

"Joritzumi? Isn't that like one of the top three schools in Japan?" Daichi said, suprised.

"It's one of the best. The tution is super pricey if you don't have a scholarship, and the standard grade the student's have to pass is crazy insane! Oh and they have a record in coming in first or second every single competition!" Kinoshita exclaimed.

"Insane indeed. I was kinda thankful in didn't get in." Kohana sheepishly smiled. She was actully glad that she didn't have to endure such pressure.

"Hey..Is it just me or does Katsumi look different?" Tanaka said, changing the topic.

"What do you mean?" The short male libero raised a brow.

"Well, she looks.. kind of scary."

Their heads turned towards Katsumi who had a serious face and was staring intensely at nothing in particular. If someone else did that they would have looked stupid but Katsumi does look... scary.

Her pretty face that always expressed happiness and sincerity, was lacking such emotion. Her blue eyes were peircing as she steadily breathed, and her lips showed no a hint of her usual smile. She was so fixed on concentrating she was undisturbed by her surrounding.

"You're right. But she's not like this when she plays with us! She still smiles and cheers a lot, especially when she scores!" Hinata defended.

"That's because this only happens in matches she has no plans in losing. I mean, I used to think if she doesn't look like that she doesn't take her opponents seriously, or maybe she's going easy on them."

"So there are matches she plans on losing?" He tilted his head innocently. Kageyama hit him for asking such a ridiculous question.

"No Hinata. Some matches just mean much more to her. Like that time she had to show our parents why she belonged with volleyball and not baseball, or just a match with challenging opponents." She smiled at the orange haired male.

"Does that mean..?"

"Yup, she was soft on you guys." Kohana chuckled. "As much as I also can't believe it, it's the truth."

Hinata was staring at the floor, brows furrowed before he looked up and slowly smiled.

"Then I'll just have to train really hard, so I'll be good enough for her to take me seriously!" He exclaimed proudly.

The third and second years smiled to themselves at Hinata's statement.

"You should because you're no good now." Kageyama started.

"You'll see! I'll beat you too Kageyama!"

"I won't let you dumbass!"

"I'll be better!"

"You need to grow taller first."

"What was that Tsukishima?!"

.

The girls returned for the second set. Reiko snickered once she made eye contact with Kohana. Akari was staring at Katsumi who was unbothered in every way. Michimiya and Misaki exchanged looks before timidly shrugging and going to their positions.

"You better believe you're not the only one who has new tricks up their sleeve."

"Calm down." Katsumi replied nonchalantly,  much to their suprise.

"Then take a deep breath and hold it for thirty minutes."

The fact that she said this straightforwardly made Kohana burst into a fit as Michimiya tried her best to stifle her laugh.

"I hate you."

"I'm aware. Now let's finish this."