𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐑𝐢𝐧𝐠-𝐉𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐨𝐭𝐭🪐

At this point, Y/n was shaking from anxiety. For the past hour, they had been searching through their house just to look for one thing. It wasn't common for Y/n to lose their belongings, but this one item... they needed to find it. If they didn't, not only would they be upset, their mother would be upset with them too.

Earlier that day, Y/n's mother had stopped by their flat. It was like any other visit... until their mother had pulled out a small jewelry box.

"I went up into the attic the other day and found my older jewelry from when I was younger," she grinned, opening the box to reveal gems, gold, and silver. "I thought you'd might like to take a look at some of these."

One by one, Y/n's mother had pulled out a few necklaces, some earrings, and only one ring. The ring was a small band that held a tiny stone on it. This ring was incredibly important to their mother, it was the first piece of jewelry she had received from her husband. He had gotten it for her when they were in high school.

"Junior year of high school, your father knew he wanted to marry me. So he had bought this promise ring to remind me that as soon as he could afford a real one, he'd replace the ring with a better one," Y/n's mother smiled as she looked down at the ring. "Try it on, dear."

"Are you sure, mom?"

"Oh c'mon, what's the most harm it could do?" Their mother took their hand, slowly sliding the ring onto the proper finger, "Well if you look at that, it's a perfect fit."

"It's very pretty, mom," Y/n nodded happily. As soon as they finished admiring the ring, they took it off, handing it back to their parent.

"I know, I'm hoping one day you'll wear it like I use to," Mrs. L/n had stood up from her seat on the couch. "Y/n, I have a few errands to run, I really don't want to bring my jewelry along. Would it be alright if I left it here and stopped by one more time to retrieve it later today?"

So as soon as their mother made an exit, Y/n returned to the jewelry laid out on the coffee table. Picking up one by one delicately, they placed it back into the jewelry box. As soon as each item was placed back into the jewelry box, Y/n placed the box on a hutch standing in the living room as well.

Y/n had ended up leaving the jewelry box be, it wasn't until Y/n was on a phone call when they had finally realized something was really wrong. They had been walking around the flat, on a call with Mia. They really didn't know why they were wandering around while on the phone, Y/n just didn't want to stay in one place for too long.

Stopping in front of the hutch, they listened to Mia ramble on about a new diet she was going to try out. Their eyes had landed on the jewelry box that continued to still on top of the piece of furniture. It hadn't been touched since when Y/n put it there.

Something was screaming in the back of their mind, 'just check it one more time.' So as Mia kept speaking, Y/n sometimes humming a soft 'mhm,' they had decided to open the box. there was no point in lying, they were a bit nervous they might've missed a piece of jewelry or just misplaced something.

four pairs of earrings, three necklaces... and no ring. As soon as Y/n had noticed the band wasn't in the box, they could feel chills running down their spine. Maybe they had just missed it on the coffee table while putting their mother's belonging away. Y/n took a turn, making their way to another piece of furniture, looking it over for any sign of a ring.

While doing all of this, Mia was still on a call with Y/n. It had taken a minute or two before Mia had actually realized that Y/n wasn't listening to her any longer.

"Y/n? Y/n? Y/n?!"

"What? Yes? I'm listening." It had taken a moment before they had actually noticed they still had their friend on the phone.