NATHAN~32

"Is that a camera I see here?" I asked Claire who was changing the sheets.

She lifted her head.

"Oh, yeah. Ian bought it to me for my birthday. He made extra money from his box matches and he surprised me saying that it was annoying to watch me taking pictures with my awful phone camera".

I took it in my hands and inspected it. All the pictures she had taken looked professional. Some of them being animals and others sceneries.

"I used to take photos of things that I was unable to draw at that specific time so that I could draw them later".

"They're beautiful", I admitted and left it hanging to her bed.

I took a look around the room. It wasn't that big but it sure was cozy. I wasn't a fan of big rooms anyway. The chamber I was locked in was huge but I didn't like it one bit. There were two different beds with completely different things decorating their walls. Claire's wall was full of fantasy paintings or sketches and the wall shelves, which were decorated with pink flower lights, had miniatures of elves, mermaids and fairies sitting on them. I smiled unconsciously at how pure was Claire's imagination. Reminded me that of a child. On the other hand, Ian's side was full of box posters and generally martial arts. A katana was also hanging on the wall. It was so like him. What my eye caught though was a miniature of Claire's. I hesitantly took the mini statue and studied it. It was a figure of a male angel whose wings were half naked. He was sitting on a grave with a rose in his hands and the sculpture was so well done that I could distinguish tears running down his cheeks. My heart skipped a bit. Why was something that relatable in Claire's room?

"I found this in the graveyard, stuck between some branches. I used to visit the graveyard every Sunday after my grandmother's death. It was actually the first figurine I ever got. When my mother learnt that I climbed a tree in the graveyard, she got so mad".

A laugh escaped her lips as she took it from my hands.

"I cleaned and polished it to see that the statue was actually white and then I decided to paint the rose blue and the grave grey. I left the body white because I thought that if I painted it, I'd take this poor angel's grace away. I was young then".

She put it back on the shelf.

"I never thought that I'd meet an angel like that in real life", she joked.

"Did you feel sorry for him?" I asked and she again laughed.

"Yeah, I did. Looking at him this sad made me feel sympathetic, that's why I painted his rose. I thought that if I painted his flower, he'd smile. That's quite silly though, isn't it?"

I nodded negatively.

"If you look at that statue again before feeling sad remember this. Some angels, are destined to fall", I said as I took a blue rose out of my bag.

Delphine had once told me that a blue rose symbolized an unreachable love. Today she noticed that I was with Claire and asked me if she was the one I was searching so desperately for. Delphine had the rare charisma of reading the emotions behind the paintings. I didn't answer her, the only thing I did was to look away shyly and then without saying a word she brought me this blue rose. She placed it in my hands and didn't say anything more.

I notice Claire laugh in surprise.

"There's no way..."

I handed it to her and she accepted it with her cheeks on fire. She quickly searched her drawers until she dug out a black thin vase. She rushed out of the room and was back in seconds. She put the rose in the vase with care and placed it right next to the statue.

"That just became my favorite place in my wall". She turned to me.

"How?"

I lifted my shoulders.

"Who knows... Say, do you have paintbrushes here?" I changed the subject.

"I'd be crazy if I didn't", she said opening the cupboard under her night stand that was full of art supplies.

"Perfect", I smiled.

"Why?"

"I have an idea".

"What kind of idea?"

"You'll see, what about hair spray?"

"Hair spray? Ian uses it once in a while".

"Mind bringing it to me?"

She looked totally confused as she got out of her room. I picked the colors and brushes I needed and took a seat on her bed. It didn't take long for her to return.

"What do you have in mind?"

"It's a surprise", I answered showing her to sit in front of me.

She gave me an unsure smile but still listened to me giving me the hair spray.

"Okay, I'll ask you to take of your shirt if you don't mind".

She again looked at me confused and slightly shy but did as I said. My eyes fell immediately on her neck and bare back. That's a canvas for you.

"Good. Now please stay still for a couple of minutes".

"Seriously Nathan, what's on your mind?" she asked laughing.

I didn't give her a response. I just placed her long brown hair in front of her to have a clean view of her back. Without a second thought I started mixing my colors on the palette. I borrowed all the shades of blue and white. When the paintbrush touched her skin, she shivered.

"That tickles", she laughed but I continued on doing with what I had in mind.

I painted the standard shape with white and then I moved on with the blue details. I needed to slightly pull her underwear's clasp to finish up completely. That took me less than ten minutes.

"Now, stay still!" I asked her to do before I used the hair spray.

I stretched my arm to get her camera and opened it. To take the picture I wanted though, I needed her to take off her underwear.

"I'll unbutton your underwear for you. Please hold onto it for a couple of seconds".

"What?" she asked shocked but I did as I said.

Claire immediately wrapped her hands around her chest.

"Seriously Nathan..." she sighed but before she could say anything more I brought the camera in front of her.

"Oh my God..." she exclaimed as she turned to face me with her eyes sparkling.

"You gave me a pair of wings!"

I was delighted by her reaction.

"Like them?"

"They're so pretty... it'd be such a shame to ruin them with my clothes".

"That's why I used the hairspray, for them to hold onto their oil paints. It'd be better to wear something baggy though".

I took of my shirt and gave it to her.

"Use this".

She indeed wore my shirt without any complains and took her underwear off completely.

"That was beautiful, I loved them. Thank you".

"They can keep the spot warm for your actual wings", I said standing up and taking another shirt from my bag.

"How can I repay you?" she asked concerned and I laughed.

"Just go out with me tonight, I want to take you somewhere. Would you be so kind to do me the honor?" I offered her my arm to stand up, she accepted it.

"I could never refuse".

"Guys, we're back!"