Prologue

5 years ago

"You did great Kenna" my dad Michael Maxwell said to me with so much pride in his voice and a big smile on his face.

"Thanks Daddy! I kicked your butt." I said while punching my dad as hard as I could in his side. He faked being in terrible pain and I laughed and he picked me up and put me on his shoulders.

We were just now getting home from our training site out in the woods.

"Let's see did mommy cook a big dinner for us" he said as he walked us through the front door.

He stopped dead in his tracks and my smile fell from my face changing to utter shock and horror.

The house was destroyed. The furniture was ripped and broken, there was claw marks on the walls, blood splattered everywhere, picture frames and glass where broken. It looked as if a tornado went through our house.

My father put me down off his shoulders and told me to wait here.

He switched from his human form to his wolf form in seconds and ran upstairs. I rarely ever see my dad like that, only time I do is when he's really mad or on high alert.

I could smell the blood but it was mostly coming from upstairs. I changed into my hybrid form when I heard my dad let out a strangled howl. I ran upstairs to where it come from and stood shell shocked from the scene before me.

In my parents room everything was ruined. The bed was broken, the dressers knocked over and in pieces, glass and broken pieces of wood littered the floor, blood was on the walls, staining the carpet, but worst of all my mother Kamille Maxwell, laid lifeless in my father's arms.

He was silently crying while stroking my mother's cold face. Her clothes were ripped and torn, there was claw and bite marks every where on her body, and there was a gigantic chunk missing from her neck. She had burn marks on her wrists and ankles showing that she was tied up to the bed.

That's when I realized that not only was she murdered but rapped also.

My father must have heard my sob because he looked up at me with his tear stained face and his eyes glowing very bright gold.

He gently laid my mother on the floor and walk over to me with blood on his hands and clothes.

I was sobbing uncontrollably and shaking so bad that I fell into my father's arms not caring about the blood.

He held me as I cried and whisperd,

" Don't worry sweetie I'm going to find who did this"

He gently put his finger under my chin making me look at him. His eyes as tear stained as mine.

"Listen to me McKenna, I will never leave you. Even if you don't see me for days at a time, just know I am always here for you"

"You promise?" choking back a sob.

He kissed me on top of my head and whispered "I promise".

My life will forever be different....