Chapter Twenty

Mckenna pov

Balling my eyes out at the park swing was not something I planned to do. Let alone crying in Nick's arms.

I did sense there was someone around -even though I didn't see who- but I didn't think much of it because I thought it just some random person.

As my mind drifted back to the past I couldn't stop myself from the emotions that took over me.

Even when Nick showed up I couldn't stop. Not even when he wrapped his arms around me I couldn't stop. It just made me cry harder.

Though I was crying I couldn't deny how good it felt to be in his arms. The feel of his strong arms around me, holding me, made me feel so... Safe.

Whenever I was around Nick he made me feel safe. I don't know why, especially considering I didn't know him at all. But he still make me feel things I have no business to be feeling.

The wheels in my head were still turning when I got home.

I opened the garage door and didn't see my dads car which ment he was still out. No surprise. I parked my bike and made my way inside and up to my room.

I left the lights off because I really didn't need them and I didn't feel like turning them on.

I went in the bathroom and looked in the mirror, the only thing I saw was my eyes glowing a very bright gold. Tears welled up in my eyes again as I recalled the memory I thought of earlier. I willed them away not wanting to cry. Again.

I took a long hot shower to clear my head. When I got out I saw a light flashing on my phone indicating I had a message. I expected it to be my dad but it was two new messages. One from Jennifer and one from... Nick. My heart started to race when I saw his name. I slowly opened his message first.

         Did you get home safe?
                                                              -Nick

I smiled from the simple message he sent me. It made something stir in my chest to know that he was concerned about me getting home alright. I thought about not responding but I didn't want him to worry. I simply sent yes and waited for a while to see would he send anything back. He didn't. I sighed kinda hoping he would.

I read Jennifer's message.

      He kissed me!!!!!!!!!
                                                      -Jenn

I didn't respond because quite frankly I didn't know what to say and because I couldn't get Nick out of my head long enough to think of a response.

Since I left the park I still couldn't get why he held me as I cried and didn't just leave me alone. Maybe because he likes you dummy. I thought but he couldn't possibly like me because the way he was all over Leila today. Just thinking about it made me hot with jealousy and I growled loudly.

Why are you getting jealous he's not even yours to begin with!

I thought bitterly. I pushed all thoughts from my head, laid down in my cold bed and tried to sleep.
......................................................................................

It was Friday night and I am sitting on the bleachers waiting for the baseball game to start.

There are a lot of people - mortal and non mortal- at the game. Some sat on the bleachers, other are standing behind the dugout talking to the players. Ugh even Leila was here. Why wouldn't she be? From the way she was all over him the past couple of days you should have known better.

The school they are going against is Northridge high. When they were warming up I could tell they were pretty good.

"This is going to be a good game! They have been rivals for years." Jennifer said popping up beside me. I didn't say anything back because the game was starting.

Nick is pitcher and Trent was center just like at practice. The game started off good. In the first inning both teams had 3 up 3 down. As the game continued they started hitting the ball. Nick hit a 2 run home run in the 4th inning, getting the team up by 2.

Nick hit 4th in the line up, the clean up hitter, and he was doing his job. He hit the ball every time he came up to bat.

The game was intense. Northridge never falling to far behind only by one or two points. They took the lead in the 7th inning but Mark - knowing his name because it was on his jersey- hit a triple driving in two runs putting them back on top.

It was the top of the 9th the score is 12-11 Patterson's. They had 2 out's and the bases were loaded. Nick was dripping with sweat from playing so hard. All he needed is a strike out to win the game, it was a 3-2 count and everyone got quite when Nick made the pitch. The batter let it go but it caught the corner of the plate and the ump struck him out. Me along with the crowd erupted into cheers and applause! The other team tried to argue it was off the plate but the umpire called ball game.

Nick was jumping with joy as his team rushed to him at the pitchers mound. They jumped and cheered together. After a little while they got in line to high five the other team and tell them good game.

After that was over Leila ran to Nick and hugged and kissed him. My mood instantly changed from joy to annoyance. My eyes flashed red as they always did when I got mad.

"Did your eyes just turn red?" Jennifer asked obviously seeing it. I swore under my breath.

"No it was probably just the lighting making my eyes look different" I stated simply.

She didn't say anything thing. She went over to Trent shyly telling him good game, he picked her up swinging her in a circle and told her thank you. She blushed really bad and I smiled from how good they were together.

The team was getting there stuff together to leave when I decided to go over there.

Leila was all over Nick and he has his arm over her shoulders.

"Awesome game boys!" I said happily trying to hide how mad I was at Nick.

Everyone murmured a thank you and some even gave me high fives. I laughed at them for being silly.

Nick and I made eye contact and what I saw surprised me, he was looking at me with soft almost sad eyes. It confused me completely.

I said my goodbyes to Jennifer and the team, and before I would change my mind about not going to go ask what that look meant I left.

He is so confusing.....