Chapter Nineteen

Instead of pizza Trent said they were going mini golfing.

Trent is wearing well worn jeans, with a crisp white T-shirt and  brown cowboy boots and the hat to match. He wore his hair pulled back in a low ponytail. He looked really handsome but wasn't my type.

They left a short while after he arrived and I was left with Jenn's mom. There was an awkward silence between us because neither one of us spoke just stood in the living room.

"I've heard quite a bit about you" gesturing me to sit down, "Jenny said it's only you and your father, if you don't mind me asking what happened to your mother?"

Honestly I did mind, I didn't want to talk about it. Everytime someone brought up my mom I would get this thick ball of emotions stuck in my throat. She must have noticed my sadness because she simply just changed the subject.

"What kind of work does your father do?"

"He's a private investigator. He's currently looking into a murder case."

"My goodness! And he thinks the murderer is here? In my town?"

"Yes ma'am he got a lead on it and that's why we moved here."

We talked for a little while longer and I also mentioned that he wanted them to come over for dinner one day. She said she'd like that and then walked me outside.

"Jenny said you had a motorcycle. It's hot" lighty tracing my initials on my bike. "What does this stand for?"

I couldn't avoid the question or act like I didn't hear cause one she was looking right at me and two she knew I heard her.

"It was on the bike when I got it. I just haven't gotten around to changing it" I answered smoothly. She nodded her head and I got on my bike and left. Throwing a wave over my shoulder and she waved back.

.....................................................................................

I didn't want to go home because I knew my dad wasn't home. He texted me saying he was going to be out late probably even till the morning. I sighed. For the past 5 years I've gotten used to my dad being out all the time or leaving by myself for a day or two. I knew he would always come back but, I still felt lonely.

He would always apologize for it but I would tell him not to worry about it because I knew how much it ment to him to find my mother's killer.

Instead of going home I went to the park that was a few minutes from my school. It was late and dark and a school night so no one was here.

I walked over to the swing set and sat on one of the swings.

It brought back a memory from when I was about 6 years old and my mom took me to the park.

"Mommy! Mommy! I want to get on the big kid swing!!"

"Alright my sweet girl, you can get on the big kid swing"

I ran over to the swing and jumped on the seat. Even though it was seated high I was still able to jump up on the seat because of my hybrid strength.

"Mommy may you push me!" I asked excitingly bouncing on the swing.

She chucked and smiled brightly at me "Of course I will"

I hadn't realized I was crying until I felt a tear fall on my hand I had resting on my lap.

It's been a while since I let myself think about my mom, because it always brought back sweet memories of her making my heart ache and break even more then it already was.

I started crying harder unable to stop myself. I was sobbing uncontrollably. I was holding on to the swing chain so hard I am surprised I haven't snapped it yet.

"Scarlett, are you okay?" I hadn't even realize Nick was around let alone walking towards me.
......................................................................................

                                                             Nicklaus pov

I was calming walking around the park when I saw Scarlett pull up. I was a good distance from the play ground so she didn't notice that I was there.

She walked over to the swing set and just sat on a swing. She didn't swing or even slightly sway, no she just sat there staring blankly at nothing. I was wondering what she was thinking about when I saw a lone tear fall down her cheek.

At first I got pissed off just thinking about someone upsetting her to where she would need to cry. But then I softened when I saw more tears fall. I wanted to go over to her but I don't think she would appreciate my company. Not after yesterday or earlier today.

She started crying harder, sobbing loudly and I couldn't take it anymore more. I walked over slowly, making sure not to startle her.

"Scarlett, are you okay?" I knew she wasn't okay but I had to ask. Her head snapped up, burning gold eyes looking right at me. She tried to stop crying but couldn't. She shook her head and if anything cried harder then before.

Before I could stop myself I pulled her into my chest holding her as she sobbed. She clutched my shirt and buried her face in my chest. Her tears stained my shirt but I didn't care I just held her tighter. I gently pulled her to the ground with me. I was pretty much holding her as if she were a child who needed comforting. But it felt so... Right, to have her in my arms.

I held her for what felt like hours but was only a few minutes. She finally started to calm down a little, her sobbing stopped but tears were still running down her face.

"Thank you" she barely whispered into my neck. I didn't say anything back I just lightly squeezed her in response.

She eventually stopped crying all together but still didn't pull away. She was so quiet and still, I thought she'd fallen asleep.

"I should go" she wiped her face, stood up, and started walking away.

"Wait a second! Are you okay? What happened?" she stopped walking but didn't turn around to look at me.

"Thank you for that Nicklaus... I needed it." even though she didn't answer any of my questions, I let her leave. I knew that pushing her to answer my questions would only make her more upset so I let her go.

I'll only let her go for now....