Chapter 2

A week later....

The car halted after a painful journey from Las Vegas to San Francisco. It was a flight on our jet that brought us here. I had the worst flight ever.

I was too nervous, I mean I was starting college all by myself. No friends, no family, nobody. Even my best friend Lenora wasn't with me. She's probably sitting in Greece sipping cocktails.

Only Theo came to drop me off, as my parents didn't give a damn. I didn't expect much from them anyway.

Fidgeting with my fingers, I looked outside of the car window. There stood a large pristine building, made of red bricks and stretching widely across campus grounds.

I got out of the car, looking at the trees and greenery that surrounded the area. Well we're definitely not in Las Vegas anymore.

A groan escaped my mouth. "It's only grass." Said Theo as he got my bags out from the trunk.

"Well it's everywhere." I complained. I know I was being annoying but can you imagine being forced to do something you absolutely did not want to do?!

A cloud moved away making the horrible sun shine at my face. I narrowed my eyes, shielding my face with my arm.

I took some bags off Theo to help before we started to walk towards the building. How happy was everyone around me - laughing, talking loudly, holding their folders in their arms like some sorority movie.

We walked through the main entrance, which led to a large open space with pathways, circular lunch tables, and patches of grass which people sat on. The same college building squared around the open space.

We had a look at the college from the outside before leaving the main entrance and walking towards a building more towards the side.

Theo took one look at my face and rolled his eyes. "Come on, don't be a drama queen." He lectured, dragging me to the dorms as I frowned at the place.

"I'd rather have an apartment, anything over this."

Theo raised his eyebrows and moved his judgy face towards me. "Remember when you turned 18 and begged dad to let you stay a night at Lenoras? How did that turn out?"

"That was a long time ago."

"Yeah, Lenora's apartment got on fire because you fell asleep while boiling noodles."

I crossed my arms, irritated by the heat and by Theo. "And I got her a penthouse for it." I scoffed. We entered the dorm building, going upstairs and stopping outside a door. Number 36.

I pushed the handle down to check if it was open, and it was. The door opened to a small but cosy room with two beds. Each bed had a window next to it. One bed stretched across the top of the room against the window and the other across the left side of the room.

"Welcome to your new home." Theo said as he tried to act positive, plopping my bags on the ground. "Remember to stick to your fake name, and don't tell anyone you're full name is Shailene."

"Shy Cullens. Got it." I paused. "Where's Edward?"

Theo rolled his eyes. "Don't get into trouble okay? I've got a few bodyguards working undercover here in case something goes wrong." He said as he walked to the door. "And if any boy even looks at you the wrong way, I'll kill him."

"They won't. I'll kill them before you do." I replied. I said goodbye to him, and then sat on my bed. I can see my roommate had already moved in because of her things lying around her bed.

Scanning the room, I winced at its emptiness. The walls were a disgusting off white and the floor was made of brown shiny wood, which I'll admit I kinda liked. The beds looked comfy, I guess it was the upside of being sent to a college for the rich.

I grabbed my phone and laid back, lectures don't start until tomorrow so I'm relaxing until then.

The door opened, and someone entered. It was a girl around my age. A pair of glasses sat on her face, and she pushed them up looking at me. After taking one look at me, she went up to her bed and plopped her folders down.

I studied her while she desperately avoided my gaze. She was afraid of me.

"Hi." I smiled, knowing the effect I had on people. I was used to people being scared of me. When I was in high school everyone avoided me because they were terrified of Theo. That means it was hard for me to find friends.

"Hi." She said quietly, not facing me and sorting out her folders.

"I'm Shy Cullens."

"Oh. I-I'm Diane." She muttered. She returned to her work, which made me look at my unpacked bags. I'll do it tomorrow.

——————

The next day I woke up early. Okay, I tried to wake up early. I forgot that I had to use a bathroom shared between other people, and instantly dreaded it.

I never even use public toilets let alone public showers, but I sucked it up and tried to make it work.

All it took was pair of flip flops to avoid the nasty floor and I was set. The showers we actually really nice, I could see they put a lot of money into making this place luxurious as possible for prisoners.

After getting ready, I grabbed my bag and took one last look in the mirror. My dark brown hair roped down to my waist, I barely ever did hairstyles with it because it was too difficult to manage.

Okay, my first lecture is biology. God, I hated biology. I read the room number on the printed timetable and headed towards the main college building.

Upon entering, I past by many people- thank god they weren't in cliques like in high school. They all seemed like mature adults, well most of them.

I arrived at my lecture on time, and went inside. Looking at the rows of tables, I chose to sit in the seat furthest away from the front.

People rolled in, laughing and joking as the teacher arrived. Everyone sat down, eyeing me with weird looks which made me feel uneasy. One girl just stared at me blankly, and she didn't even try to hide it.

"What are you looking at?" I asked, and she turned her head away. It seems like I wasn't going to be in a good mood today because of these people.

A blonde haired guy who wore a sports jacket was also staring at me ruthlessly. It took just one cold look at him and he quickly snapped his eyes away from me.

I had just opened my notebook when my vision was blocked by someone standing in front of me.