Chapter 26

Help me.

I've never felt anything like this before. I avoided his eyes in hopes of him walking away but judging from the half-smirk on his mouth, he wasn't leaving anytime soon.

When my breaths grew fast enough for me to draw in one large one, his smile faded a little. Hesitating, he slowly extended a hand. His thumb touched my cold, wet cheek and I almost closed my eyes.

"You're...nervous." His voice was surprisingly soft. Softer than it had ever been before. Taken aback, I look at him. His eyes are so warm, its unbelievable to think they were once icy.

Part of me melted - unravelled at his touch. But another, not so quiet part refused to accept it.

"No...you know I hate you." I whispered, my eyes on his. He seemed unaffected by my words though and as his thumb caressed my cheek, the corner of his mouth turned up.

"And I don't." He replied so quietly I couldn't tell if it was real. Three words that struck me more than anything ever had.

I blinked. Furrowed my brows and stumbled back, hitting my waist against the dresser as I turned to leave. Enzo caught me and kept me upright, but his proximity only startled me more.

I was surprised. I'm nothing but a hating person, filled with negativity. I guess it was always just a defence mechanism to keep people away from me but it worked. Except for him.

Now he was looking at me with warmth, and also a fire in his eyes that he fought. How could anyone like me?

When he realised what I thought, a cloud of darkness covered his expression. "I don't. You hear that?" He said in a growl before leaving.