Chapter 42

~Enzo pov~

Shy said she needed to visit one of her friends for a few hours, which was convenient because I had some shit to deal with back home. The last thing I wanted was for her to get an idea how screwed up my family really was.

I argued with my father for god knows how long, before the door swung open.

"I have to go. Don't call me again." I spat, shutting the phone. Shy seemed exhausted, she placed her bag on the table and headed towards the bedroom.

———

After a reminder of how fucked up my life was outside of this college, a thought entered my head.

I knew she wouldn't stand a chance in my world. No matter how many times she could beat me in rings, she was a normal girl.

But I wasn't going to let her go, no. I would protect her with my life before something ever happened to her. I turned to Shy, who had her back towards me.

As usual, I grabbed her waist and pulled her against me. She always pulls away when I do that, but I still like to try.

I waited for her to move away again this time, but she didn't.

My head lifted and I scanned her to see if what was happening was real, and it was. She was still awake, gazing into the darkness of my room.

"Not tired?"

"Something like that." She sighed lightly. "Enzo?"

"Mmhmm?"

"Why do you think you're a bad person?"

Her soft words echoed into my ears. If only she knew the chaos I could cause. "I am."

"But why?"

"I'm not oblivious, I know the things I do make me a terrible guy."

"Things such as...?"

I blinked, wondering how to word this without spilling everything out. "Hurting people."

"Do you ever feel......remorse? Hypothetically speaking."

"Sometimes."

She stayed quiet for a while, probably in thought. "I like that you're bad."

"Mmhmm?" I asked. I didn't know if I should be surprised she admitted something about herself, or of her words.

A warmth bloomed inside of me, making me hold her tighter against me. "What else do you like?"

"I like when you get protective too." Her sleepy voice said quietly, making the corners of my mouth rise. "Or when you're clingy."

My lips tipped up.

"Get that smirk off your face." She said with her eyes closed. Bossy.

Just like every other night I made sure she fell asleep first, before closing my own eyes.

——————————————————————————