Chapter 30

The next day...

As I picked up a banana from the table, there was a distant knock at the door. I opened it, and saw that it was Roman and Jade who were smiling widely.

"Heyyyy." Jade said as they pushed the door open and walked in past me.

"Of course you can come in." I said sarcastically before closing the door. They both sat on the couch as I approached them.

A sudden pain in my stomach made me grab it. I leaned against the wall, trying hard to conceal my discomfort. Periods and camping was not a good mix.

"Shy? What's wrong?" Roman asked. I limped towards the couch and sat down carefully.

"Nothing."

"Ok...if you have cramps I have Advil, you want some?" Jade asked.

"Actually, yeah."

She started searching her bag as Roman started talking.

"You ready for the hike?"

"What hike?"

Romans mouth dropped open. "You don't know about the hike everyone's going on today?"

"Everyone?"

"Well some people. I told you about this a few days ago...."

"What? But I can't go..." I paused, coming up with some explanation. I did not want to go hiking, especially not with the pain I was feeling at the moment.

Jade handed me an Advil which I got up and swallowed with a glass of water.

"But why not?!" Roman asked.

"Why would anyone walk just for fun? Plus the mud, bugs and aching feet." I argued.

"Shy....Come on, we only have a few days left. We might as well make the most of it." Roman said, but the sound of a door opening made me shoot my head to the side.

Enzo.

Heat danced on my skin thinking about our moment last night, when we talked. Unwillingly, I swiped a hand over my cheek and headed to the bedroom.

"Let me just get some shoes." I said behind me. When I got my running shoes and returned, I realised Enzo was gone and couldn't help but feel a little disappointed. I didn't understand it at all.

I didn't want to either, I just set my shoes down and slipped them on. I didn't want to brag, but in highschool I was actually the fastest track runner in my year. Hiking shouldn't be a big deal.

——————

"When is this over?" I panted, and smacked another bug against my skin.

This was a terrible idea. I was covered in sweat, my legs were failing and I seemed to be the only one having mosquitoes thirsting after me.

We all stopped at the edge of the hiking track, looking at the view. "So pretty." Jade breathed. The view was of various lakes, green mountains and distant forests surrounding us. I would have maybe enjoyed it if I wasn't in such a bitchy mood.

"This is going on my story." Jade said and she pulled out her phone and started posing in front of it.

"Here, let me." Said Roman who took her phone and started taking pictures of her. "Hot hot and hot."

"Okay guys, we still have another 3 hours to go!" The guide said as the people in our college started walking further.

"Come on, we don't want to get left behind." I urged, but they continued with their photoshoot.

When I turned back to see where the group was, my eyebrows lowered. "Shit."

I did not want to be bear food, not today at least. My eyes shot towards dumb and dumber with panic.

"Guys, move!" I snapped, pacing towards where everyone was. They couldn't be that far away.

"Where are they?" Roman asked. I went into the forest, trying to hear any sounds or footsteps. But there were none.

I stomped back to Roman and Jade. "They're gone."

Jade's hand snapped over her mouth. "Oh my god! We're stranded in the wild!"

"It's not a big deal. I was in the wilderness scouts." Roman bragged calmly.

"14 years ago!" Me and Jade said in unison. She started pacing around with panic as Roman still remained confident.

I ran my hand through my hair in thought. "Ok, lets calm down. The group can't be that far off." I reassured.

A scoff escaped Jade's mouth. "You've been lost in the wild before?"

"Once." I replied. It was when my dumbass brother and dad forgot about me on their camping trip. I had to walk home.

They both stared at me with blank faces.

"I'm sorry what?" Roman asked.

"It's not as bad as you think. That's until the bears come out, and then you spend the rest of your night clinging to a tree branch." I said causing them to freak out even more.

"Bears!!??" Roman shrieked.

"And wolves." I said as I rested my hands on my hips.

"WOLVES!???" Jade screamed.

"Just stay close to me unless you want to be torn apart by an animal." I said and turned towards the direction I assumed we came from.

"Shy! You promise you won't let me get eaten by wolves?" Jade asked. "And if Roman was getting eaten too, you'd save me first right?"

"No she'd save me!" Roman said as he pushed her.

This was going to be one rough day.