Chapter 62

For the past few days, I stayed with Enzo. It was surprising how Theo never tried to contact me or dragged me back home like I expected.

To be honest, living with Enzo even in the past was better than living in my own home. I wasn't scared to admit that anymore, not even scared to admit that I never felt like returning home.

I'd wake up in Enzo's arms, we'd shower together, eat breakfast together, and he'd go to work. He was in Vegas because of me, but he still had to carry out his work even here.

Vegas has always been crawling with more crime than people would think. When he'd return after a few hours I'd help him cook dinner, mostly involving him making fun of me for not knowing how to cut vegetables.

We'd eat together, and I'd lay in his arms all day. It was the simplicity of these days that made me believe my life before him was a complete facade.

I'd do anything just to have the knowledge that nothing could try to rip us apart again. But I couldn't lie to myself.

The front door opened and Enzo walked in. He pulled his coat off and stalked towards me, more stress on his face than usual.

"What's wrong?" I asked as he sat on the couch, sinking into the place next to me. "Did you not find out the thieves yet?"

I took my his in mine as he laid his head back. "We did. They were fucking moles."

"They were yours? How did you deal with them?"

He turned his eyes to me, and thats when I saw the small drops of blood on his shirt. "What do you think?" He asked, a hint of sinister in his eyes that weirdly turned me on.

"Ok, go shower now. I made something for you." 

"What?"

Chicken soup. The kitchen almost went up in flames but I think I managed to make it edible.

"You'll see." I replied. He stood up and grabbed my hand.

"You're coming with me."

"I already showered. And besides, I'm not doing anything with you anymore. I kept my virginity for marriage."

His eyes fix on mine at the last word. I hope he doesn't care that I want to practise abstinence, and for a second I worry that he might. But then he leans down and presses a warm kiss to my cheeks. "Whatever you want."

———————

The next morning I woke up to the bed being empty. The sound of Enzo's voice in the kitchen reassured me though. I brushed my teeth, washed my face and put on one of Enzo's shirts before walking out.

He seemed deep in conversation, standing next to the window and blankly watching the city below. His Italian echoed around the room, and he was dressed for work.

When he sees me, I notice the smoothness of his words breaking. More uhms and hmms. Oh my God, he's nervous.

When he shuts the phone, I head up to him and fight a smile. "Did I ruin your phone call?"

"You did." His hand slipped around my jaw, his thumb over my lips. "You're going to have to pay for that you know?"

"Nope. It's not my fault you're obsessed with me."

"Obsessed?" He asks and pulls me towards him as I laugh.

"Okay-chill I was joking!"