Chapter 29

"Are you done?" I asked.

"I need a few more minutes."

I put my magazine down and scowled at him. "If you want something to satisfy your eyes, why don't you call one of your girlfriends?"

"I will." He replied only making more bitterness spread through my chest. I narrowed my eyes at him before putting my magazine away.

"Is there a problem?"

"No." I breathed. "Actually, I'm gonna go to take a trip to that party and see if I can find a guy for tonight."

Before I could even finish the sentence, his eyes darkened. "Fine. Go." He said with his jaw clenched.

"Do you think your friend Alessandro will be there? He's so pretty." I teased, watching his anger grow as he tried to conceal it. "The last time I saw him, he was checking me out. So why not?" His jaw tensed. His grip on the glass held out behind him tightened, until it smashed.

"Seriously Enzo, learn to take a joke." I said confidently while standing, and left the hot tub. To my dismay, he followed and wiped himself down with a towel before putting on a t-shirt set on the table.

I really hoped he wasn't thinking of returning to the cabin, at least not now. But when I started walking, so did he. "Following me?" I gritted, and with those words he shoved me to the side before walking in front of me.

Stumbling, I stared at him. I guess what he wanted me to do was follow him, which I had to do to get back to the cabin. Before I could get into the shower, he beat me to it.

And then it was time to sleep and I got dressed into my pyjamas before slipping into bed. Enzo was still awake and laid facing me.

The silence settled in. He didn't speak, only looked into my eyes. He was holding something back, which only made me curious.

"Why...why did you get annoyed when I was with Evans?

His brows grew tense a little, but his eyes warmer. "Don't ask. You'll be disappointed."

"Why do you think that?" Did he think I was incapable of knowing information? Is that the kind if impression I'd given people?

Enzo's jaw ticked a little, as if he was fighting a war with himself. "Go to sleep."

He closed his eyes, and I couldn't help but feel the sudden urge to- "I'm sorry."

The silence came cold.

Enzo slowly opened his eyes.

"For...I don't know, for being such a hateful person." I added. I had no clue what I was doing, or why, but it felt good finally being responsible for my actions. For acknowledging the pain I cause to others from being so flawed.

I didn't expect him to react at all, but then he extended a hand towards my cheek and stroked my skin with the back of his finger. His eyes followed, as if he wanted to memorise every feel, every second he touched me.

I couldn't control the kindling of my heart, which had been buried so deep inside me, I didn't know if it still lived.

"Never say sorry for who you are." He finally spoke. His words were commanding, yet so soft they could have lulled me to sleep.

"Not even when the world hates me?"

"Bring anyone who hates you to me." Were the last, volatile words he said before laying on his back and closing his eyes.

————