Chapter Thirty-One

This chapter was supposed to go up tomorrow but I'm having a root canal done early so I'll be way to exhausted to post  So here's the new chapter.

My father walks inside with his famous smile that could give Tom Cruise a run for his money. "Howie. Its so lovely to see you again." My mother says embracing him and transfering a delicate kiss upon his cheek. "The feeling is quite mutual, Neha. My god you look stunning." Says my father taking my mother hands and letting his eyes roam over her. Giggling my father takes her hands back from my father's and lightly hits him. "Oh Howie, stop. How is Emma and the baby?" My mother asks genuinely interested. Emma is my fathers pregnant wife and my step mother. Her pregnancy is a terrible one for her that she's been on bed rest for the continuation of her final trimester. "Oh she's OK. Doing a lot better than before."

"Oh that's good. Send her my best. I'll wrap up some food for her."

"Oh that would be lovely, Neha." Giving her a smile he turns back towards my sisters and I and his already huge smile widens towards his eyes. "My girls. Rasheed, Aziri." Acknowledging my brother in laws with a stern hand shake and hug he turns to Aishwarya. "Oh wow. Look at you. Hard to believe you were once walking around with a pillow under her shirt pretending to be pregnant and here you are. Really pregnant. And stunning. My beautiful Aishwarya." He tells her with a stroke of his thumb across her cheek.

"Thank you daddy." Aishwarya says wiping a tear away and stepping an inch to the right to make way for Naima and Lailta. My dad gasp out loud making Lailta giggling and squirm around like the wiggle worm she is and reach out for him. "You coming to Pop-Pop?" He asks her in a silly voice where the word coming sounds like voming. "Pop Pop is going to smother you in kisses, yes he is, yes he is." Taking her he begins to kissing her all over making her squeal and squeak. "Oh you are so darn cute." Looking away from Lailta and to Naima they smile at each other as if speaking telepathicly Naima leans in and kisses his cheek.

Then. He turns to me.

"Hi Daddy." I mummer. Taking my left hand I cover my ring and turn the diamond around towards the inside of my palm. "Ashanti. My baby girl." Walking over to me he wraps his free arm around me and holds me. Inhaling his scent of the cinnamon bear gummies he would give me as a child for every time I behaved well, got homework done. I felt like I was a child again. When life was carefree and easy and outgoing. When my biggest fear was not getting a oatmeal pie in my lunch. Not telling my father I'm engaged. "I missed you daddy." I tell him pulling back and looking at his face. At fourty-four my father didn't look like it. They only indication of his age are the little specks of grey hair along the corners of his dark hair. He's very fit from the morning jogs he does. I would feel so bad that he was running alone in the mornings and terrified that something would happen to him and I wasn't there to protect him. My sisters would tell me that "daddy could protect himself, you can't even fight off us! let alone anyone who tries to hurt daddy." So every morning at four a.m I would wait by the door in my hello kitty footie p.js and wait. "Ashanti? What on earth are you doing out of bed, sweetheart?"

With my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in my arms, my hair in pigtails,I'd remove my thumb out of my mouth and with my lisp at the time I'd say "I want to run with you daddy."

"You do? And why is that?"

"Because I have to protect you. Naima and Aishwarya says I can't protect you alone so I got the turtles to protect us." I said holding them up. Looking down at me I swore I saw a tear escape his eye. He picked me up and said "If your going to run you have to change your pjs." I was so excited. Every morning I ran with my father.

But when they got divorced...

The running stopped...

I tried to continue with it but it was never the same. I ran with him to protect him. But, you can't protect someone who is no longer running beside.

They chose to run one way.

While I'm struggling to keep up.

"I missed you too, Ashanti. So what's this big surprise, your mother told me you have to share with me?" He asks handing back Lailta. Clutching my hand over the ring I shake my head and say "Um, it can wait daddy. After dinner."

"It most certainly can not!" Interrupted my mother smacking a wodden spoon on the table. " You tell him now."

"Mommy, if Shanti wants to wait. Let her. It's her life." Naima retorts.

"Its my life! I give her life, its my life. Tell!" Mother argues back.

"Fine.." Using my thumb I flip the diamond back around "Daddy...you remember my boyfriend? Harry?"

"Um..the curly haired popstar?yes, how is he?"

"Great daddy...um...he proposed.." Holding up the ring for him to see. He looks down at it and says nothing for a good three minutes which in actuality feels more like three hours. But he finally does speak.

"My baby girl is getting married. Wow..But in honesty...I knew."

"What?!" My sisters and I say simultaneously. He knew? How?.

"Well the first day I met Harry. He sat me down. He went on and on how in love he was and that he wanted to be with you and knew he would marry you one day. And when that day came, cause he knew it would, he right then and there asked for my premission. And I gave it to him." Not being able to hold my tears back I let them flow and jumped into my father's arms.

"Thank you daddy!" My sisters and mother start hopping around screaming that we have a wedding to plan. I couldn't wait to call Harry and tell him he have my father's blessing which i now know he already knows. But now we can finally move forward with nothing in our way and nothing stopping us from becoming man and wife.