apado gwaenchana

I remained silent because I knew that if I began to speak, I would explode

I remained silent because I knew that if I began to speak, I would explode. I gritted my teeth, the parents of Jaehyun telling us to sit down and to make ourselves at home. Jaehyun's father proceeded to call Kyungsoo and I brought myself down onto the chair with my face in my hands. It was a bit too much to process and I had so many questions; I just didn't know what to ask first.

Jung Mira, Jaehyun's mother placed a glass of water in front of me, a hand going to rub my back gently.

"Dana, dear. Drink some water," she said and I nodded, the Ong siblings watching me from across the room. "I know it's a lot to process at the moment but I promise all your questions will be answered."

"My parents," I began, my voice shaking. "What were they?"

My parents seemed like they were business people and our company has undergone so much growth the past year.

That was all I knew of them.

An absent father and a cold mother.

To know that they lived a different life from what I knew was fucking with my head.

"Your mother was a forger, dear. Your father an assassin. Oh Sungjin, your father was based in Europe and your mother, Oh Jinah was based in SM, America. They met on a mission and finally fell in love and decided to settle down. They wanted to retire after they had Seojun so they came back to Korea and invested all their money just like the Ong family."

You know what pissed me off?

The fact that the Ong siblings looked like they knew about this before.

"And my youngest brother? Why was it that if they donated their genes to SM, they couldn't find him?" I asked Jaehyun's mother who sighed. "Wouldn't SM keep track of the babies?"

"Dana, dear. The babies were experiments. SM did keep a close eye on them and though they lost track of some babies, some stayed in SM. The thing is, SM would never disclose such information to the donors. These babies are considered as an asset to SM, so your parents never got information even if they asked SM for it."

"So, you're saying SM knew all along," I clarified. "They just refused to tell my parents because these babies are considered experiments?"

"Yes, dear. We were Medics and your uncle there worked for the labs so your parents approached us in finding Oh Sungmin, your younger brother. But all the information on him and the other Seasonies are locked. We tried to find him, but to no avail. To find him and to search for him, we would have to be authorized and we weren't."

"Why didn't they tell me?" I asked them quietly, Auntie Mira's face faltering. She looked guilty and sad for me but I didn't need pity. "Why was it that everyone knows except me?"