the history of huang renjun

Beyond a mountain is a misty town 

Dark and dreary, ready to turn your smiles into frowns

Bodies by the rice fields and children throwing rocks

Don't forget to replace your rusty locks

The trees bow to the ground, don't make a sound 

Don't drink from the river, don't ask to leave 

Always behave... keep an eye open when you sleep 

Don't put up a fight and let the monsters take you away

Follow the steps and forever you shall stay

[Mansion on the hill, Linjin]

Renjun was back in Linjin, gnarly arms bringing him down the dark dreary halls. He knew where he was being escorted to, the male very familiar of the childhood memories that would haunt him. He stumbled, the men leaving bruises on his shoulders when he finally reached the study.

And there she was.

The one person he dreaded, the male trembling slightly with fear when she turned around and smiled at him.

"Renjun, come and give your mother a hug," she said so casually, Renjun wanted to wipe that smile off her face. His jaw was locked and he shrugged the men off, the male bravely moving forward to sit down. He did not need to be controlled—Renjun finally sitting across his mother.

Ah, chess pieces were scattered on the board and he realized that she was playing chess all by herself... again. Renjun's eyes ran over the pieces, his hands going to move one of them to start a game and she smirked.

"What do you want?" he asked, knowing his mother was not one to negotiate. "You hid the note well."

"I have associates all over South Korea, my child. This is what comes with power," she answered.

Renjun had seen the note plastered on the wall, a decoded message that he knew was from his mother and his mother alone. The Morse code was something he used a lot when he was a child and he remembered feeling his heart drop. She was a monster and he knew if he didn't follow her orders, she would find a way to hurt them—Na Jaemin's parents to be exact.

And Renjun knew of Na Jaemin's adoptive parents, how they were old yet kind. Nana had told him once before... But what was he against his mother? So Renjun did what he thought was best for everyone's safety and decided to put the doctor to sleep.

"Why do you need me here?" Renjun asked, calmly. "Why aren't you doing one of your stupid experiments—"

"There are not stupid, Renjun." His mother's voice was sharp and he flinched. "I see that you have a weakness. You need to be fixed, my child. It's been a while since you've watched your cartoons."