TWENTY TWO

"Hurry up Daphne or we'll miss breakfast

"Hurry up Daphne or we'll miss breakfast." I urge Daphne who was taking her sweet time in the morning, "alright keep your robes on, I'm coming." She says quickly slinging her bag over her shoulder and pulling me along. "It's been three days how have you made such a mess already?" I ask noticing her side of the room, "I'll clean it later." She shrugs, "you better, I heard the other girls complaining about all the books on the floor." She waves her hand absentmindedly, "let the cows complain, I still remember when I tripped over Morgan's robes and broke my nose, maybe she'll get a taste of her own medicine." I shake my head as I try to hide my amused smile.

The day went on normally, potions with Snape wasn't that bad, when he just left us alone to get on with it, it could be quite fun, I loved brewing potions especially when the twins weren't blowing them up. Daphne was in a bit of a mood that she had to sit with George but I think she liked it really, I caught her smiling at his jokes. Charms was as it always was, Professor Flitwick was kind and he kept the lessons just interesting enough that you wouldn't stop paying attention.

"Ugh we have the toad." I complain not looking forward to the next lesson, "I'm sure it'll be alright." Daphne says in a forced tone, "probably not." I mutter as we near the classroom, "let's just hope no one argues with her the way Harry did." Daphne murmurs lowly, the whole school had heard of Harry's outburst towards the new Professor and it just made more people brand him as mad which must've been extremely frustrating. "I don't know I think it'd be pretty entertaining." I shrug just before the bell goes.

Luckily we make it just in time, "Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe. Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven. But you'll be pleased to know, from now on... you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved... course of defensive magic." I feel like banging my head on the desk at her forced schoolgirl tone of voice, "Yes?" I look up to see it had been Daphne who had raised her hand, "There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?" She asks making my eyebrows furrow, "Using spells?" Umbridge asks in utter confusion as though the idea was completely insane. "Well, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom."

"So we're not gonna use magic?" Someone else asks, "You'll be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way." I scoff, "how is that useful? If we're attacked, it won't be risk-free." I find myself speaking before I can stop myself, "Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class." She says glaring at me.

"It is the view of the Ministry... that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient... to get you through your examinations... which, after all, is what school is all about." She continues, "And how's theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?" I speak again making her glare deepen. "Hand!" She says before calming her face. "There is nothing out there, dear." She says in a forced kind tone.

"Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourself?" I look at her in disbelief, "I don't know literally anyone? We're not really children anymore and Not all wizards are as delightful as you are Professor, what if I want to become an auror, I need to know how to cast defensive spells don't I?" I ask, "As long as you have studied the theory hard enough, there is no reason why you should not be able to perform the spells under care- fully controlled examination conditions," said Professor Umbridge dismissively making my mother drop.

"Without ever practicing them before?" I ask incredulously. "Are you telling us that the first time we'll get to do the spells will be during our exam?"
"Your hand Miss Malfoy, and I repeat, as long as you have studied the theory hard enough —" I scoff
"And what good's theory going to be in the real world?" I ask again not even bothering to raise my hand.
"This is school, Mr. Malfoy, not the real world," she said softly. "School is supposed to prepare us for the real world though is it not? We are not going to remain children forever we need to be ready for what's waiting out there." I say making her little toad face turn red.
"There is nothing waiting out there, Mr. Malfoy." She shrieks as the whole class watches the two of us go back and fourth a mixture of entertained and afraid.

"If you are referring to what happened to Mr Diggory-" I glare at her as the whole class takes in a breath, "I wasn't speaking about that! Don't you mention him!" I practically yell at her making her smirk knowing she had touched an nerve, "I know that you were emotionally attached but what happened to your boyfriend was an accident, a terrible accident." I glare so hard that I wouldn't be surprised if she suddenly dropped dead, "you don't know anything." I say slapping Fred's hand away as he tries to get me to sit back down, "Miss Malfoy if you want to speak in my class you have to raise your-"

"You can raise your stupid hand and shove it right up your-" Daphne grabs my arm to cut off my sentence as Professor Umbridge shakes with rage her whole face turning an undesirable shade of scarlet, "get out of my classroom and don't return until you have learned some respect!" I smirk seeing her unable to contain herself, "gladly." I say smiling as I walk up to the door, "you have detention every night this week." She tells me as she struggles to compose herself, "wonderful I can't wait." I drawl sarcasm practically drowning my words.

。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

"You're mental Malfoy." Fred says as he joins me in the astronomy tower after class, "you love it Weasley." I hum as he sits beside me, "are you alright." He asks seriously making me look at him my smile slipping off of my face. "No." I admit in a small tone, "I don't know why I lost my temper like that I-" his earn hand encasing mine makes me forget what I was about to say, "it's alright she deserved it." I smile and look back out to the view that the astronomy tower provided.

"This is where I first spoke to Ced properly." I say after a moment my voice so quiet that I'm sure that he hadn't heard me, he doesn't say anything instead he interlocks our fingers letting me know that he had. "He asked me out, here." I say my voice cracking as I remember that day. Fred moves closer and wraps his arm around me as I lean into his shoulder, I close my eyes and relax as I smell candy and gunpowder on him, it made me feel warm and safe. He made me feel warm and safe.