FIFTY SIX

"You haven't even told me your name miss." Evangeline says as I hold her and apparate us away, "oh how silly of me, it's Lyra." I tell her as we get to our destination, "you're Lyra?" She asks her whole face lighting up, "my pop pop told me about you, you made those yummy frosted cookies didn't you?" I nod, "can you make me some more please they were just so yummy!" I smile at the young girl, "we can make them together." I say which makes her day. "Thank you!" She says clinging to me tightly which makes me laugh.

"Where are we?" She asks as I walk towards the burrow, "this is a safe place Evangeline don't worry, I'll always keep you safe." She nods and rests her head on my shoulder as I approach. I would've gone straight home but I needed to tell the order what had just happened and I knew that they were having a meeting right now.

"Lyra dear..." Mrs Weasley trails off once she catches sight of me, "what's going on? Is everything alright?" I glance at Evangeline who looks afraid in my arms, "who are all these people?" She whispers up at me, "they're my friends, don't worry they're all great people they wouldn't hurt you." I assure her but she still seems wary.

"These are my very very good friends Ron and Hermione, they're going to go and take you to get some food." I say she nods and reaches for Ron who takes her wide eyed hermione following after him to make sure he didn't drop her or something.

"Lyra what happened?!" Everyone asks as soon as she's gone, "I came here to tell you but first someone has to tell Daphne that I'm ok, she's probably freaking out right now. "All this blood!" Mrs Weasley gasps horrified by the sight of my blood soaked clothes, "it's not mine." I assure her as she checks me over, "last night there was a deatheater raid in our neighbourhood, they- they targeted my elderly neighbour Mr Davis." I start off, "Frank?" Kingsley asks making me nod sadly, "they set his house on fire but they left him alive and I-I took him to his sons house."

"I thought everything would be ok, I thought they were safe and so I went back to his house today to collect his belongings and when I got there, the dark mark was above the house. I ran in but it was too late his son, Roger was dead and Frank he was bleeding out. I-I tried to save him but there was so much blood, too much blood I couldn't do anything I couldn't help him." I tell them really feeling the weight of it hit me, "and he asked me to take care of his granddaughter Evangeline, she was upstairs hiding in the closet and he asked me to find her somewhere to stay and to look out for her." Mrs Weasley is the first to react and wrap her arms around me.

"Do you know why the death eaters went after him?" My mouth goes dry as I don't want to actually say it out loud because then I'd be forced to admit it. "They were looking for me and he refused to say where I was." I whisper it doesn't seem like anyone heard me though. Anyone except Moody and Remus. Moody makes a face and Remus looks at my sympathetically.

"What did you say?" I take a deep breath as my eyes water, "it's ok Lyra." Remus says coming over to me, he grabs me gently by the arm and escorts me out of the room, "it's not your fault." He assures me as Moody probably informs the others. "Do you want me to take you home?" He asks and I shake my head, "no I can go alone." He nods and looks at me in worry, "get some rest." I nod and smile as he hands me some chocolate.

"Hey Evangeline are you ready we're going now." I say making my way to where she was sat with Ron and Hermione, "I'm ready." She says standing and making her way over to me, "bye Ron, Mione." They both smile softly and wave at her, "Lyra, she can stay here if you want." Mrs Weasley offers after I say bye to everyone Evangeline in my arms again. I look at the innocent young girl and shake my head as she looks at me panicked. "I want to stay with you!"

"It's ok she's my responsibility, I promised I'd take care of her." Mrs Weasley nods. I had to make sure that she was ok that was Frank's dying wish and I had to honour it.

"Lyra I'm tired." I smooth Evangeline's hair as I take her back to our apartment, "you can go to sleep now." I hum softly smiling as she hugs her dragon teddy to her chest, "you know Ron told me that his brother Charlie likes dragons too." I nod, "why do you like dragons?" I ask as Daphne appears from her room looking at me wide eyed.

"What the fuck?" My own eyes widen and Evangeline giggles. "Daphne!" She looks between the young girl and me again, "what the fuck?" She repeats, "hey Evangeline you see that room down there? That's yours, why don't you go and get ready for bed." I suggest turning to my friend once the child is gone. "What the-"

"Yeah yeah I got it what the fuck? I have to take care of her Daphne, at least until I find somewhere for her to stay." I say in a hurried whisper not wanting the small girl to hear us. "Why? Who even is she?" I take in a breath, "she's Mr Davis granddaughter." I say regretfully, "why do- oh...he hasn't?" She says sadly figuring it out as all I can do is nod, "I went to give him the things and the dark mark was over the house, her dad... and Mr Davis was bleeding out, his last request was that I took care of Evangeline." She nods wiping her eyes, "why did they go back after him?" I shrug deciding not to worry her further, "I don't know but she has no other family." Daphne frowns at that.

"Lyra?" I turn to see Evangeline leaving her temporary room, "yes?" I ask, "I'm scared can you sleep with me please?" I nod, "of course, you know what my dog Paddy's in my bed you can go and lie with him he's a great protector." Her eyes light up as soon as she hears the word dog and she goes running excitedly to my room.

"What are we going to do?" I frown and shrug, "I don't know but I'll handle it." Daphne shakes her head, "we'll handle it." She assures me glancing towards my room. "How old is she?" She whispers, "four." Her eyes tear up, "what did you tell her?" I begin to bite my nails feeling my heartbeat pick up. "I told her they're on a very important mission." I say not knowing if I should've said that. "So she thinks they're coming back?" I shrug, "I don't know but I couldn't bloody tell her that they're dead, how do you tell a four year old that?" She bites her lip not knowing what to say. "Lyra we just turned eighteen how are we supposed to care for a four year old?"

"It's not forever! I'm going to find her a new home but I have to do this Daphne, I can't just abandon her I made a promise."