FIFTY FIVE

Daphne had fallen asleep amidst our movie marathon and so I looked around the apartment still unable to get the events of last night out of my mind. I smile seeing Daphne and paddy curled up together before making my way towards the door.

I hesitate outside of poor mr Davis house and take a deep breath before entering, if there was anything salvageable then he deserved to have it with him. I have to cover my mouth the smokey fumes burning my throat as I tried to cough it all back out. The damage isn't too bad luckily but sadly a lot of things are ruined. I manage to find a few photo albums in pretty good condition along with a box labelled Eileen. I smile glad that whatever has been in the box had survived.

"Where were you?" I'm stunned to see three worried faces waiting back at my apartment instead of the one I had left sleeping. "I was at Mr Davis house looking for anything I could save." I say feeling bad at Daphne's fear stricken face, she had been in George's arms as Fred was pacing around. "I thought they got you." She cries hugging me tightly. "I'm ok, I'm sorry I thought you'd still be asleep when I got back." I say not knowing how scared she'd actually been, "what if they had come back and taken you?"

"We don't know that they're looking for me." I try and calm the situation down as I see the twins share a worried glance. "I'm fine." I say not liking how they were all worrying. "What if they are?" I feel my stomach churn at the thought, they were most probably looking for me. "I don't know what am I supposed to do? Surrender myself?" 

"No!" The three exclaim, "guys I don't really know what I can do, but I'm going to be fine." I mean I hoped that I would be fine, "now the two of you have a shop to run." I say to the twins, "and you promised me movies all day."  I say to Daphne who finally let's go of me.

"Lyra are you ok? We didn't know what had happened last night, merlin if anything had happened to you then I don't know-" I cut Fred's rambling off as he follows me to my room. "Fred I'm fine honestly, they didn't even come near us last night." I assure him he forgets whatever is he's about to say and nods pulling me into his arms. "I just love you so much." He says the fear in his voice not allowing me to enjoy this moment as I'm much as I usually would. "And I love you."

"We're going to be ok." I assure him kissing his cheek, he doesn't say much but he nods, "now go on my successful businessman hates being away from his shop." I tease, "he loves his girlfriend just a bit more." I laugh and gasp over dramatically, "just a bit?" I'm glad to see the smile break out on his face at my theatrics. I hated seeing him worry, Fred and George were always laughing or something. They didn't suit being serious.

"My my Fredrick your girlfriends not going to be very pleased with you." He laughs now, "it's ok love she loves me too much." He winks making me smile, "oh someone's confident I see." He just smiles and wraps his arms around me, "do you deny that you love me?" He asks making me smile, "of course not." I say making him grin at me very smugly. "Ok ok, go to your shop now, I have plans."

"Very pushy, calm down love I'm going." He chuckles before we join George and Daphne, after assuring George that I'm fine the boys leave and I turn to Daphne. I'm just going to drop Mr Davis his things off and then I'll be back." I tell Daphne who looks very hesitant. "It's ok everything will be fine, after last night he deserves to know that Eileen's things had survived. "Fine but I'm coming with you." I shake my head, "I'll be gone thirty minuets max, just hang out with paddy its ok." I say knowing that she was exhausted.

I walk to the house that we had dropped Mr Davis off at yesterday the box in my arms making me so excited to see him smile after seeing how much he had cried last night.

My breath hitches and I drop the box in shock as I see the dark mark floating above the now cold house. I pull out my wand as I sprint through the unhinged door. "Oh no." Mr Davis son Roger was laying dead on the ground right by the door. "Oh merlin no." I whisper crouching down to see if there was anything that i could do, but it was too late. I cant help the tears that escape, I'd only met Roger yesterday but he had been so kind and so thankful that I had brought his father to safety, but things weren't so safe right now.

"Mr Davis?" I call out tearfully moving further through the house to see if I could find him, I do. I gasp once i spot his body running with blood so much blood. He hadn't been spared the same quick end as his son, instead he'd been tortured. "Oh Mr Davis." I cry seeing that he was still alive, "Lyra?" He rasps out through the pain, "M-mr Davis I don't know what to do, I don't think that I can-" He grabs my hand to stop my talking, "it...it's ok dear my Eileen... she's waiting for me." He tells me with a genuine smile as though he couldn't feel all the pain that he should.

"What happened?" I ask holding onto his hand tightly, "they came back with questions for me, they- they're looking for you Lyra." I feel my heart stop, "Oh I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." He shakes his head with the same kind smile he always wore on his face. "Mr-"

"I think you've earned the right to call me Frank now dear." He says as tears spill down my face. "Frank I'm so sorry, you should've just told them where I was." He shakes his head more adamantly than before, "my dear I have lived my life, you should get a chance to do the same." He takes in a breath, "I just have one request." I nod quickly, "anything."

"My granddaughter Evangeline, she's upstairs hiding in the cupboard, we have no other family, find her a good home, and look out for her?" I nod, "of course." He smiles seeming relived like he didn't have to try and hold on anymore. "Our safe word is bumble bee, don't let her forget us and don't waste this." I nod and hold his hand tighter. "Of course not, thank you." I whisper, he smiles and squeezes my hand. "Thank you and Daphne too, the two of you keeping this lonely old man company gave me a reason to smile again, I'm afraid I must go now, my Eileen she's calling me." My eyes shut and more tears spill as Mr Davis's hand goes limp in mine and he takes his last breath.

I force myself to stop crying and make my way upstairs where I hear small fearful whimpers coming from one of the bedrooms. "Evangeline? It's ok I'm not going to hurt you, I'm a friend your grandad sent me, he said the code word was bumblebee?" I say softly, smiling gently when a small girl pokes her head out from the cupboard door. "Bumblebee?" I nod, "bumblebee." I repeat.

I try to not cry once she leaves the cupboard, but she was so small and she had no family left thanks to me. "How old are you?" I ask as she doesn't move any closer to me. "Four." A lump forms in my throat, she was just a baby what would she even remember of her father? Of her grandfather.

"Where's my daddy and my pop pop?" I crouch down in front of her trying to stay calm so that she stayed calm, "they had to do something really important, really really important and they asked me to look after you for the time being." I tell her, "I'm going to stay with you?" I nod with a smile hoping she wouldn't start crying, "but they're going to come back right?" She was so young how was I supposed to tell her?

"They're going to try, but this important job it's a bit dangerous only the bravest men and women can do it." She smiles, "my daddy and my pop pop are very brave." I nod, "they are so brave, now come on we gotta go." She sends me a hesitant smile as she grabs onto a dragon teddy from her bed and then turns to me and holds her hand out.