Chapter 97: The Lost Of A King

Irene finally made it to the area where she had last left Natsu and the others. Mid air she transforms back to normal landing on the ground gently. As she touches the ground she looks around seeing nothing but utter destruction. Buildings collapsed, some on fire, the streets flooded with flaming water and dead bodies of citizens laid on the towns streets. The smell of death plagued the town intoxicating her sensitive nose. As she continued to make her way through town she sees a group of people, they happen to be Ermina's citizens. She quickly recognized one of them being Kashima the man who served as there tour guides through town. Approaching him she touches his shoulder causing him to turn around.

Kashima: It's you..where have you been?

Irene: I was fighting the other dragon god. Tell me what happened here? Where is everyone?

Kashima: I..don't know how to say this but..

Irene's eyes grew big, she began to concentrate trying to pick up on the scents around. She smelled Lucy, Erza, Gray, Wendy even the exceeds but there was one person missing.

Kashima: I think it's better if we showed you.

Kashima and his wife began to tell everyone to make way allowing them and Irene to move through the crowd. Making it to the middle she saw Lucy kneeling, hugging a crying Wendy as she tries to hold her tears back. Gray was sitting on a rock with his head down, and Erza was standing near by everyone watching  them. She makes her way to her daughter grabbing a hold of her hand, this surprises Erza quickly turning around.

Erza: mom..I'm so glad you're okay!

She says hugging her mother. Irene returns the hug and quickly asks the question she knows the answer to.

Irene: What happened here?! Where's Natsu?!

Erza separates herself from her, as she looks towards the ground.

Erza: He's...he's gone..

Irene: what do you mean..he's gone?

Erza: Natsu...Natsu sacrificed himself to save us. Mercphobia killed him.

Irene: What...?

Irene feels her heart shatter into a million pieces. She tried to pick up on his scent again and again even focused trying to sense his magic but nothing. She hears her daughter weep, she immediately regains her self and hugs her daughter.

Irene: It's okay dear..it's okay.

Erza: I'm sorry mom I'll be fine, but I think those two need you more

She looks over Erza's shoulder seeing Lucy and Wendy devastated. She slowly approaches them kneel down next to them. Lucy and Wendy look at her with there eyes full with tears, she opens her arms and both of them crash on her crying even more.

Irene: There, there you two...it...it's going to be fine. I promise..

Back in Kuoh a thunderstorm could be heard echoing throughout the city. In the news it said there would be severe storms and flood warnings all throughout the day. School was cut short because of it and people who where working where immediately sent home. The town seemed like a ghost town, no one was outside, no cars where on the move, nothing the town stood still. Meanwhile at home Grayfia and the girls where all gathered in the living room watching tv. Grayfia goes to reach for her drink, as her hand got closer the cup cracks. This surprises her a bit hesitant to grab the cup. She suddenly feels an emptiness inside her causing her to softly pass her hand through her heart. She looks around seeing the girls also do the same gesture. She looked at her phone on the table and began to wonder to herself.